Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 30th, 2011, 9:03 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Oh, you've taken the plunge. Let us know what you think. I love this series, despite his maddening delays in getting subsequent books out.[/quote]

I'll be interested to know how you get on as well Misfit. I'm about 40 pages short of finishing it,and must admit that although it's well-written, it took me about half the book before I was finally comfortable with who the main characters were, and who they were all related to etc! It's not a book for the squeamish though, and he's certainly not afraid to kill people off :eek: Not sure if I've actually enjoyed it, and some of the characters I'm finding irritating, and I must admit there aren't too many likable people in it. It is good and I have the others in the series, but I hope each book isn't just a rehash of the first one.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 30th, 2011, 9:50 am

I loved A Game of Thrones - it was one of the 'glued to my hand' books. I loved the characterisations and the descriptions and the twisting story lines. Keeping it all in my head though was a problem. I've read the first 3 but stalled later on - a bit like the author by the sounds of it. I am keen to watch the TV adaptation though!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:30 am

Approaching the end of Department 19 by Will Hill - teen vampire saga for boys. Think Dracula meets Alex Rider - lots of action, lots of fun. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:44 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]Oh, you've taken the plunge. Let us know what you think. I love this series, despite his maddening delays in getting subsequent books out.[/quote]

Yeah, and the plunge didn't last long. I just wasn't in the mood for it. I really didn't know what to expect going in (and didn't want to read too many reviews and get spoiled), but it wasn't quite what I wanted to read now. Still in a bit of a slump after Lily Cigar. Gawd that was a good book. Don't anyone go looking at the prices of that now, all the cheap copies have been sold.

Reading Anna Karenina on my new Kindle.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:58 am

I am reading non HF with the current one. Broken by Lisa Jones for Amazon Vine.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 30th, 2011, 12:04 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'll be interested to know how you get on as well Misfit. I'm about 40 pages short of finishing it,and must admit that although it's well-written, it took me about half the book before I was finally comfortable with who the main characters were, and who they were all related to etc! It's not a book for the squeamish though, and he's certainly not afraid to kill people off :eek: Not sure if I've actually enjoyed it, and some of the characters I'm finding irritating, and I must admit there aren't too many likable people in it. It is good and I have the others in the series, but I hope each book isn't just a rehash of the first one.[/quote]

That's exactly the problems I was having and I wasn't enthralled enough to continue, for now. I'm going to try again another day. There are too many others waiting for a turn at the library and I do have plenty of other books to read.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 30th, 2011, 1:02 pm

It took me til about halfway through to really get into it, and it helped going onto imdb and looking up the various actors, as it made it easier to fix some of the characters in my head - there are so many of them! Can't wait to see how they do the Wall though, it should look very impressive.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 30th, 2011, 1:07 pm

I've just begun a Danish nautical adventure saga, We, the Drowned, which spans mid-19C through WWII. The narrative is odd in that it alternates between 3rd person and first person plural. Took me a minute to figure out who the collective we were (in this case, members of the King's Navy). I think it will take me awhile to get used to the narrative (I've just barely started, still reading chapter one and being introduced to the characters). I wonder, since this is a translation, how much the differences in language affect this type of narrative style.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 30th, 2011, 3:08 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]It took me til about halfway through to really get into it, and it helped going onto imdb and looking up the various actors, as it made it easier to fix some of the characters in my head - there are so many of them! Can't wait to see how they do the Wall though, it should look very impressive.[/quote]

Books like that should come with a character/family connection list. It should be a law ;)

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed March 30th, 2011, 3:23 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I've just begun a Danish nautical adventure saga, We, the Drowned, which spans mid-19C through WWII. [/quote]

Been interested in that book. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Archives”