Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat March 26th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I'm reading Tony Hays's The Beloved Dead... review up next week!

I'm looking forward to reading Moon in Leo, Annis - thanks for the report! My copy's on the way.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sat March 26th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Under an English Heaven by Robert Radcliffe. This started a little slow and I considered laying it aside, but checked my notes to see why I had ordered it. It had been mentioned and recommended by Elizabeth Chadwick on the WWII thread, so I decided to stay with it. So glad I did - I loved it! Setting is a village in Suffolk near an American bomber base. Of course I've never lived in England, and all I personally remember about WWII is the day it ended and my older brothers were allowed to walk to town to see the celebrations, but I had to stay home. But, anyway, this novel seemed very believeable, the life of the small English village including the story of a London evacuee living with a village family and fascinated by the men and aeroplanes at the base. I loved the story of the pilot and crew of one of the bombers. The characters, on the base and in the village, were well-developed. I cared about them, about their backgrounds, their fears and triumphs. All in all, I thought it was a wonderful novel.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 26th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Glad it came good Lindy! (phew!). I have a reader friend and her father flew bombers in England in WWII, and she was very taken with this story too. Robert Radcliffe is a pen name. He also wrote The Lazarus Child as Robert Mawson.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 26th, 2011, 5:36 pm

I discovered Robert Radcliffe recently when I read his WWI novel Across the Blood Red Skies. I was very taken with his engaging characters and good old-fashioned storytelling skills, and have read several of his other novels since.

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Sat March 26th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 26th, 2011, 9:39 pm

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sat March 26th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Finished Lady MacBeth and really enjoyed it. I wish I was better with words because I would really like to post a review. Oh well, just take my word for it, it was very well done. Started Helen Hollick's I am the Chosen King.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun March 27th, 2011, 1:57 am

I've finished 2 books today:
"The Plot to Kill Wallis Simpson" by Graham Fisher (175pgs, 1989) (reread)*. A work of faction. Given to me years ago by my mother, I enjoyed it as a teen and it still holds up to some extent, though I find it more implausible then I probably did back then.

"Restoration London: From Poverty to Pets, from Medicine to Magic, from Slang to Sex, from Wallpaper to Women's Rights" by Liza Picard (306pgs, 1997)*. A very interesting look at the time period 1660-1670 in the London of Charles II. I enjoyed it a lot and plan to read her other books about London.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Sun March 27th, 2011, 2:11 am

I'm almost done with Katherine and about to start The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley. I'm excited to read this since I absolutely loved The Winter Sea.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 27th, 2011, 2:19 am

[quote=""weirdfishes4""]I'm almost done with Katherine and about to start The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley. I'm excited to read this since I absolutely loved The Winter Sea.[/quote]

So did I. And welcome aboard.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Archives”