Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu March 17th, 2011, 9:44 am

I ordered one book through Borders online and they gave me a delivery date ranging from the 4th to the 18th of March. But they always seem to take longer when they deliver to Australia.

I've never order from Amazon UK but are they better than Ebay?

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu March 17th, 2011, 10:24 am

I have not ordered through borders. I use book depository a lot. amazon.co.uk are doing free shipping to Australia until may if you spend more than 25 GBP. I also use awesome books.co.uk and better world.com. as they have decent shipping rates.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu March 17th, 2011, 10:36 am

Besides being free shipping when you spend more than 25 GBP they send through courier, not regular mail, so its usually nicely fast and you can track the package.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 17th, 2011, 11:07 am

[quote=""SCW""]I ordered one book through Borders online and they gave me a delivery date ranging from the 4th to the 18th of March. But they always seem to take longer when they deliver to Australia.

I've never order from Amazon UK but are they better than Ebay?[/quote]

Well, I've always found them reliable. Do you mean Amazon Marketplace, though? You can only go by the ratings and feedback really, I suppose - similar to ebay in that respect. Some of them do post internationally.

I didn't realise you lived in Australia - for some reason I thought you lived in Scotland!!! Perhaps there is another member with similar initials who lives there.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Texas
Scribbler

The News

Post by Texas » Thu March 17th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Sigh. I guess with the news from Japan and the Wall Street triumph over Main Street, nobody will have to read "dystopia" any more: we're living it.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:43 am

[quote=""SCW""]I've just finished The Winthrop Woman- a wonderful story. I've just started The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons which I hope is as good as The Bronze Horseman. But if not- then I have bought a copy of Wolf Hall to read.
(And I'm still waiting for Great Maria)
Might be the last time I get books online)[/quote]

I didn't like The Summer Garden nearly as much as The Bronze Horseman - maybe it was too modern of a setting for me.

I started The Virgin Widow by Anne O'Brien earlier today.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 18th, 2011, 12:51 am

Just started Operation Napoleon, latest novel by Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason. I'm a big fan of Scandinavian crime writers in general and Indriðason in particular (though Henning Mankell would come a close second).This one is more in the thriller line than his usual mysteries featuring detective Erlendur. A search for the meaning of events during World War II creates a dangerous modern mystery.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Fri March 18th, 2011, 8:04 am

Still waiting for great Maria. But I have bought The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie and I am enjoying that.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri March 18th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Finished 'Mistress of the Sun' by Sandra Gulland last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - Sandra made Louise very real for me. I'd like to see Sandra write more about Athenais. Just started 'Eva's Cousin' by Sibylle Knauss, a fictional novel about Eva Braun's cousin Gertraud staying a summer with her at Hitler's Berchtesgaden retreat.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri March 18th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Just finished another Benjamin January mystery by Barbara Hambly -- Graveyard Dust, and whoo, it's a good one. Murder, family secrets, poisonings and voodoo in New Orleans. Not quite sure yet what is going to be next after this one. Still slogging through Queens Consort by Lisa Hilton, some of the angles are interesting, but a few just don't feel right.

Return to “Archives”