Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? March 2011

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue March 15th, 2011, 5:21 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I'm waiting for my copy of Great Maria to arrive. Ordered it through Borders so I don't know how I'll go there.
But I'm re-discovering Anya Seton and I've just finished Green Darkness and I'm about to read The Winthrop Woman[/quote] The Winthrop Woman is one of my favorites -- it's how I discovered Anya Seton at age 14, and I've read it 3 times. :) I think she gave it the best ending of all her books.

Unlike most people, I didn't care much for Green Darkness, either time that I read it.

In 2009/2010, I read/re-read every one of Anya Seton's books (thanks to Chicago Review Press they are all easily available brand new and with nice covers to boot). It was fun.........

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue March 15th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Love that pic, Jemidar. You ought to go into designing greeting cards - wouldn't that one be irresistible for certain occasions?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue March 15th, 2011, 8:50 pm

[quote=""SCW""]I'm waiting for my copy of Great Maria to arrive. Ordered it through Borders so I don't know how I'll go there.
But I'm re-discovering Anya Seton and I've just finished Green Darkness and I'm about to read The Winthrop Woman[/quote]

I hope you enjoy Great Maria more than I did. That was a DNF for me.
Brenna

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue March 15th, 2011, 10:31 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I hope you enjoy Great Maria more than I did. That was a DNF for me.[/quote]

Great Maria was a DNF for me as well.

Now reading The Outcast 1850s/60s England and South Carolina), the 21st book in the morland Dynasty series.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Wed March 16th, 2011, 4:14 am

[quote=""fljustice""]Thanks for the laugh! As they say, a picture is worth.....[/quote]

[quote=""Margaret""]Love that pic, Jemidar. You ought to go into designing greeting cards - wouldn't that one be irresistible for certain occasions?[/quote]

Glad you both liked it :D . And yes, it would make a good greeting card.
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Wed March 16th, 2011, 5:51 am

I've just finished The Winthrop Woman- a wonderful story. I've just started The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons which I hope is as good as The Bronze Horseman. But if not- then I have bought a copy of Wolf Hall to read.
(And I'm still waiting for Great Maria)
Might be the last time I get books online)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed March 16th, 2011, 9:54 am

Where did you order them from, SCW? I've very rarely had a problem with ordering books online. I've had a look back and you say Borders. I've never ordered from their online offshoot. Have you tried the Book Depository or Play.com? Or there're always good old Amazon or Waterstone's (I think you live in the UK, don't you?).

I'm just about to start House of Moreys by Phyllis Bentley, a gothic novel set in the early 1800s. It's obviously an out of print book as I couldn't find a synopsis for it, so the link in my signature is to someone's review!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 16th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I'm reading Tea Obreht's The Tiger's Wife at the moment. Hope to finish tonight.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Thu March 17th, 2011, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed March 16th, 2011, 1:04 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]I liked this a lot (see review). Louise doesn't come across as milquetoasty at all in this novel. Sandra Gulland is a favorite author of mine. I'm eager to see what she writes next![/quote]

I'm devouring this book Margaret, really enjoying it! :) I've had a gander at Sandra's website and I can't see if she's got any more novels in the pipeline, I really really hope she does soon.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed March 16th, 2011, 1:06 pm

[quote=""Jemidar""]Reading Pale Rose of England by Sandra Worth.

Not too far in, but so far the main characters (Richard-Sue and Catherine-Sue) are nauseatingly unrealistic, the history is wonky and it's so syrupy that it just makes me feel like

.[/quote]

Sandra Worth has this effect on me too Jemidar! :rolleyes:

Return to “Archives”