Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Mon September 29th, 2008, 9:38 pm

"Carine" wrote:My son (21) is being pestered at work quite badly ! It has been going on for a while now but he just now came out with it !! We have to get him out of there NOW ! :mad:

I'm heartbroken !!

Carine, I'm sorry to hear about your son. Bullying at work is so horrible and misery-making for the victim. It recently happened to my younger son's girlfriend (also 21 and currently living with us) and she ended up by leaving the place. It turned out for the best in the end because a place has come vacant on the nursing degree course she wanted at university, so instead of having to wait until January and trying to find temporary jobs, she's now just begun her vocational training. But the situation where she was before, was untenable. (older woman making her life hell and management too weak and lackadaisical to do something about it). I so hope your son can move on to better things.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon September 29th, 2008, 9:43 pm

46 miles! :eek:

I am lucky if I could ride 3!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Mon September 29th, 2008, 9:43 pm

That's wonderful news EC!!!!! I wish I had the stamina to ride 46 miles!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon September 29th, 2008, 11:21 pm

When I was about that age I was living in Tacoma and working at a Taco Bell near where I lived. One of the other employees really disliked me for some reason and he was always being mean and rude to me, so much so he was starting to scare me and I got worried when I was walking home alone at night. I got mace just in case. At one point I thought about keying his car cause I hated him so much but I realized he would probably figure out who did it and it wasn't a good idea to do!

I eventually quit because of him and went to work at McDonald's across the street! I wasn't there very long as I ended up moving to Seattle a few months later.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue September 30th, 2008, 6:06 am

Thank EC. His boss is now notified about it, he told my son to stay at home this week while he looks into it, so we'll see what happens next.
Good to hear that your son's girlfriend could get away from it !
And it's also good to hear that your dad will be OK !!

SonjaMarie, I hope everything is OK for you aswell now, having to worry about walking home alone at night is a terrible thing too !!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 30th, 2008, 6:13 am

Carine: Oh, everything is fine now, this was about 13 or so years ago. Thanks though :D

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favorite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Postby Carine » Tue September 30th, 2008, 6:15 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:Carine: Oh, everything is fine now, this was about 13 or so years ago. Thanks though :D

SM

You're welcome ! ;)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Fractured Winter by Allison Bailliet
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 30th, 2008, 7:00 am

That's good news about your dad, EC - even though he shouldn't be doing all that bike riding, it's good that he's so active, too.

Carine - bullying is a terrible thing. My daughter sometimes has a hard time at school with a particular girl. It is very upsetting as you hate to think of anything hurting your child however old they are. I did mention to the school that I thought C was a little unhappy and now things seem to have improved - I occasionally get a smile (she's 12 and rapidly approaching grumpy 'teenagerism'). I don't like to mention bullying at all to the school as I'm not sure whether that can make it worse for C. I've told her to igore the bully if possible. Sometimes, however, you do have to fight back. Hope everything works out OK for your son.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Tue September 30th, 2008, 7:23 am

EC, your dad and my mum would get on well! My mum is 75, but thinks she is in her 40's, if not her 20's! The only reason she wont walk as far as she used to is that she doesnt have a dog to keep her company!

Glad he is ok!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 30th, 2008, 12:34 pm

My dad came over to Melbourne to see us and left last Friday, planning to drive from Melbourne to Perth, with lots of stops in outback Australia.

Tonight we got a phone call to say that he was currently in Coober Pedy hospital with a serious bladder infection. Coober Pedy is 9 hours from the nearest major city, and an 18 hour drive from here.

We don't actually know anymore than that at this stage, so we are going to have to see what happens now.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”