Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:28 am

"nona" wrote:I'm another year older, not feeling it this year nor was I last year but oh well.

After three years of no contact with my mother which is the way it needs to be she calls my father hounding him for my address and number, he doesn't give in because he respects my decision so she mails him letters to foward them to me thinking I'll reply. Why can't she leave well enough alone, it's bad enough then on top it's mothers day in a few days.....AAAHHH I want to scream. I'm not letting it get to me too bad though.

Nona, so sorry we missed your birthday!

My worst thing is that it took me over 4 hours to get home from work tonight because there were train issues, and now my back is really hurting from standing in both trains and buses trying to hold onto the roof!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon May 11th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Between kids, depression, and headaches I've been considering just giving up on writing. I don't think I'll actually do it, but it bothers me to have thought of it.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon May 11th, 2009, 4:35 pm

LoveHistory, don't do it, please!!! (I empathize on the headaches & depression standpoint, although I have opted for cats instead of kids...) Think not of writing today, but that you may feel more up to it tomorrow. And think of the ways that having writing as an outlet can help you cope with the other stuff, rather than it being a chore.

Me -- only three and a half hours of sleep, interrupted midway through. (By a cat, natch...) Am really dragging, and have two more phone interviews to do before I can have a nap and then start writing...

speaking of which, there's the phone...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue May 12th, 2009, 9:39 am

I am freaking out a little at the moment. I think someone has managed to get hold of the key to my sliding doors that lead to my deck and has been trying to get in while I have been at work.

Last night when I got home from work I noticed that both the sliding glass door and sliding security doors were open. We had had one of the doors open on Sunday afternoon but I was sure that it was all shut up before I went to bed on Sunday night. I looked around the house and it doesn't look like anything had been touched so then I thought maybe we really hadn't shut it. Only problem is the keys that were in the sliding security door were missing, but I couldn't remember if I had taken them out a while ago and just not put them back. So last night before I went to bed, I locked both doors from the inside (don't need the keys to do that), put the barbecue against the door on the outside, and then put the dining room table, some chairs and the heavy leather couch up against it on the inside.

When I got home from work tonight, the barbecue has been moved, the sliding security door was open, and I think that the sliding glass door has been locked from the outside as now I can't open it from the inside.

I think I am going to have to get the locks changed.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell & And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:00 am

That's a bit scary, Marge. I would definitely get the locks changed! You haven't lent your keys out to any workmen recently or anything like that?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:08 am

Yikes, that is scary. Definitely change the locks!
It's such a violation isn't it? Everyone has the right to not only be safe, but feel safe in their own home. I am angry on your behalf. :mad:
Hugs too!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:16 am

"Vanessa" wrote:That's a bit scary, Marge. I would definitely get the locks changed! You haven't lent your keys out to any workmen recently or anything like that?

Nope. I am pretty sure that they were in the security door, and it look as though the mesh screen has been pushed in and they have been pulled through there.

EC, you are right. It does feel like a violation. As far as I can tell nothing has been touched, but I am pretty sure that someone must have been in the house yesterday, and they definitely tried today.

Edith Wharton

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue May 12th, 2009, 3:02 pm

DiamondLil, while you're waiting on new locks, you can put a dowel rod in the track for the doors to stop them from sliding. Just remember to take it out if you want to actually use the doors.

My Mom taught me that. Someone actually cut a hole in her apartment window to reach through and unlock it, but with that rod in there they couldn't slide it open.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Postby cw gortner » Tue May 12th, 2009, 7:19 pm

That's very scary. Stay safe and yes, do get the locks changed ASAP. Our next door neighbor's house was robbed a few weeks ago at 6:00 in the evening; there were kids playing outside and we were home, feeding cats and the dog, even while someone ransacked her house. We never noticed a thing; nowadays, these crooks have gotten it down to a science, the cops later told us. In and out in less than 10 minutes. They took jewelry, her computer, and cash. She lives alone; thank god she was out at the time.

My partner and I had a burgler alarm system installed the following week.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
[B]THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN
[/B]

www.cwgortner.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Postby michellemoran » Tue May 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Okay, you absolutely have to have the locks changed. And ASAP. Be careful!!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”