Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Saw today that author John Updike has passed away. He's the one who wrote all of the Rabbit novels, and (I think) The Witches of Eastwick.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed January 28th, 2009, 2:53 am

"Madeleine" wrote:The huge electricity/gas bill we got today - just for one quarter! And we're pretty careful about switching off lights, TV etc, it must be the heating that has pushed it up. We did think of querying it as part of it is only an estimate...but knowing our luck they would probably come back with an even higher total!

We have similar issues. We qualified for Energy Assistance this year, most of which went to the gas company. Which is fine except for the fact that we're not using the gas. They did throw a little toward our electric, which will continue sky high until the local office decides what they're going to do about our furnace. The first guys they sent out found even more wrong with it than we knew about. They wouldn't even turn the thing on. They said it's a good thing we haven't been using it.

The good news in that is that after checking with my insurance company, I know they'll write the check if my house blows up from some inspector turning the furnace on.

MLE, I've mastered typing one-handed. But I still prefer the times when my boys are at school and my little girl is napping. It's such a relief sometimes to use both my hands. :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed January 28th, 2009, 7:53 am

Feeling our Adelaide people today. We were boiling today at 43.4C, but in Adealide it was 45.7C. Phew!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Wed January 28th, 2009, 8:46 am

"diamondlil" wrote:Feeling our Adelaide people today. We were boiling today at 43.4C, but in Adealide it was 45.7C. Phew!

It sure was! Not much cooler now! I have perspired in places I didnt know I could perspire from! :eek:

You know its hot when you light the barbie to cook dinner and it dont take long to heat up for the jacket spuds!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Wed January 28th, 2009, 10:39 pm

okies that can't drive on ice, they slam on their brakes and flip you off when you pass them cause their going a whopping 5mph.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Thu January 29th, 2009, 7:32 am

Excuse the language, but it's too f*****g hot!! I want to go back to England right now. :(

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu January 29th, 2009, 9:29 am

I'd come with you in a heartbeat!

You know that it is hot when you look at the extended forecast and they say it is going to 35C next week and you think thank goodness it is cooling down!

My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Thu January 29th, 2009, 10:57 am

I went to the enrolment day for my college course today. All good, except the timetable! I want to do it part time...I am a busy mum with commitments. I can give it 3 days, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 - 3. According to the timetable, I can only pick up 2 subjects, Monday and Wednesday afternoon, oh, and a block subject in the hols.

I am going to phone them tomorrow to discuss doing more, I need too or it will take years to do it. Also, by doing so little I wont be able to claim assistance. I also wont get a full student card and be eligable for cheaper bus fares. Its a pain.

Alaric
Avid Reader

Postby Alaric » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Few newsagencies will bother to ask for concession card ID's. Mum often buys my bus tickets as I forget and she's never had a problem with it - and if there is, just lie and say it's for your kid!

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Fri January 30th, 2009, 4:47 am

"Alaric" wrote:Few newsagencies will bother to ask for concession card ID's. Mum often buys my bus tickets as I forget and she's never had a problem with it - and if there is, just lie and say it's for your kid!

Thats what my daughter said to do!

Return to “Chat”