Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Mon January 26th, 2009, 11:38 am

"Maggie" wrote:Having to look at a certain persons face.

????? Do tell :) .

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 26th, 2009, 7:33 pm

My computer died on three hours of painstaking work. On a program without an automatic backup and recovery system.
This is a serious test of my patience, which is already getting quite frayed. I am on the second week of being daycare for my two-month-old granddaughter, and my assumption that I could simply work around her needs is proving to be somewhat naive. She is a dear, sweet, very fussy baby, and I am going to have to learn to type one-handed.

Wow, I am remembering things I forgot. So losing three hours of work, carefully squeezed out of six hours of babycare, really burns.

I have a renewed appreciation for those of you who must parent and work at the same time.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Mon January 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Today is going to be the first day of the worst heatwave we have had in years in Melbourne. (38C today, then 41C, 40C, 40C and 40C!) I know that Adelaide is suffering under similar conditions, so hope everyone manages to be able to keep cool.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:20 am

"diamondlil" wrote:Today is going to be the first day of the worst heatwave we have had in years in Melbourne. (38C today, then 41C, 40C, 40C and 40C!) I know that Adelaide is suffering under similar conditions, so hope everyone manages to be able to keep cool.

Yep, it sure is hot down here! And the government have asked us not to use the air con units for energy saving reasons! Can you believe it!! Mine is on, not fully on as other houses are that I can hear, but it is on!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Telynor
Bibliophile

Postby Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:03 am

"pat" wrote:Yep, it sure is hot down here! And the government have asked us not to use the air con units for energy saving reasons! Can you believe it!! Mine is on, not fully on as other houses are that I can hear, but it is on!

I just love it when government tries to be asinine about something. I bet that they're not cutting down on their AC! Here, we've got the opposite problem -- very cold right now, and you can only cut back on the heat so far.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Tue January 27th, 2009, 3:00 pm

ice, ice and oh yeah more ice!!! work closed early, opened late and 45 min trying to get out of my apt parking lot I finally gave up called in paid time off. ugh!!!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Snowy weather here too! It would've been nice if there had been liberal leave for us.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue January 27th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I have a deposit down on a litter of puppies and a stipulation that the deposit goes towards a brindle male only but yesterday the Mother dog had x-rays done since she's due tomorrow and only two puppies showed up! It's common for not all the puppies to show up so I really hope that's the case. Knowing my luck there will be two female puppies born, lol!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a safe delivery for Mom and babies, of course, but I also really need there to be my boy in there!!!

Not an awful problem to have, I know!!! Every once in a while it's nice to have one of those, lol!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Trail through Time by Jodi Taylor & Angel by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:06 pm

The huge electricity/gas bill we got today - just for one quarter! And we're pretty careful about switching off lights, TV etc, it must be the heating that has pushed it up. We did think of querying it as part of it is only an estimate...but knowing our luck they would probably come back with an even higher total!

Libby
Avid Reader

Postby Libby » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:10 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:The huge electricity/gas bill we got today - just for one quarter! And we're pretty careful about switching off lights, TV etc, it must be the heating that has pushed it up. We did think of querying it as part of it is only an estimate...but knowing our luck they would probably come back with an even higher total!

Why not read your meter to see if the estimated reading is higher or lower than the real one? If the estimate is too high they'll send you a revised bill if you ring them with the actual reading.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Return to “Chat”