Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 17th, 2009, 8:35 pm

condolences, Terri.

And this morning on my walk, I got chased by the same darn cow! What is that rancher thinking?! Does he want all our grazing lease insurance policies to go through the roof?

At least this time I could identify her and I have the guy's number. She is uncharacteristically belligerent, definitely a problem animal.

I'm going to suggest he have a big barbecue where she is the guest of honor.

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Sun January 18th, 2009, 9:05 pm

"Divia" wrote:OMG the annoying, bossy teacher hasnt brought her kids to the library in like 4 weeks(don't do me any favors!) and she waltzes down a 1/2 hour before her time and asks me if I'm ready for her..I stare at her and then she asks what I'm doing. It ell her and she says no she doesnt want me to do that because she does a big lesson on that and tells me what to do instead. :mad: :mad: :mad:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't do what she wanted me to .....but OMFG!!!!!!!

Some people can be so inconsiderate Divia, I know. I get peed off too when teachers behave like that. There's one in my school who started turning up at the end of the day for meetings with students without checking with me, or even bothering to acknowledge my presence. Er, I'm locking up and leaving now...... :mad: I think he's finally got the message that the Library closes at a certain time, (although I always end up staying over, but that's my decision). I don't need that. Most teachers are ok, but I do get mad when they don't turn up when they should, or do turn up when they're not expected.

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Sun January 18th, 2009, 9:18 pm

My fence and gate at the side of my house have finally been demolished by the wind. I have had the gate propped up for ages, as it came off its hinges, while I tried to decide what to do, with regards to finding a workman etc. We had high winds through the night again, and when my daughter came to pick me up today, the fence had blown down too. I have a load of stuff that needs to be got rid off at the side of the house from a building extension. It's like a junk yard out there. I now have to sort it out, get rid of the junk, find a carpenter/fencer to build/fit a new fence etc. but I don't know where to start. I'm worried about the cost, but it's a security thing, as it means there's complete open access to my kitchen. I could scream. I was wondering whether insurance covers this, as I pay for it and have never claimed before. The high winds have demolished it over the last few years. Anyone know?

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Tue January 20th, 2009, 9:46 am

At the finish of the Tour Downunder the general public really got up my nose! In more ways than one! It was hot, and in a concrete jungle so even hotter. We got there a good hour and half at least before the riders were due in, and pitched our place. We were not at the front of the barriers, but in second row. Now this is not the first time we have followed the Tour, and have even done the Tour de France a few times, it is our hobby. We love to watch it, hubby would love to take part but fitness and age would now be against him! Anyhow, at the finish line no one could see a thing, as everyone came and 'crowded' and one rider (Robbie McEwan) even got hurt by a spectator being irresponsible and leaning over the barrier to get a better picture! How stupid!

Then to top it all as we couldnt leave our 'spot' I got sunburnt on the backs of my legs!

Oh, and someone standing near us could have done with a best friend and a bottle of ant-persperant!

Then cooking dinner tonight I burnt my arm on the microwave oven getting the jacket spuds out!

Sorry. Rant over. Had a good day really! See best thing board!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Tue January 20th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Its cold...AGAIN.

I seem to have lost a brand new shirt I bought. I know it was in my room somewhere but I cant find it for the life of me. Its gone.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Tue January 20th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I'm my own worst enemy today. I'm so tired and can't figure out why (life maybe? LOL) and I'm deliberately getting myself sidetracked by internet stuff. I've got about 35 minutes to accomplish anything before the boys get home and the day pretty much dissolves into chaos.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:45 pm

Shelving the loads of DVDs and CDs that accumlated over the holiday weekend....

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:15 am

I was hoping to get some better airconditioning installed in my house before the end of summer, so I got a quote today. Yike! It's going to cost me $3000 for the air conditioning, and another $2000 to fix the central heating (which I already knew). $3000 totally blew me away!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:34 am

"diamondlil" wrote:I was hoping to get some better airconditioning installed in my house before the end of summer, so I got a quote today. Yike! It's going to cost me $3000 for the air conditioning, and another $2000 to fix the central heating (which I already knew). $3000 totally blew me away!

For that price cant you get the heating/cooling system? Must admit if we had known our air con was going to expire when it did a year after getting the heating we would have gone to the other system.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:22 am

The house already has all the heating vents in the floor. I did ask for cooling only options on the air con but they said they don't do them anymore. I can get a couple more quotes but I think it is fair to say that it is going to cost me a bit more than I planned to get it done! Oh well, that's why you get quotes right?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”