Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Wed December 24th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your job Divia. :( Hope something better comes along.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Wed December 24th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. :)

I actually work in a big district. But the cards are stacked against me. I may have to go to another district or I may have to go outside school libraries and see what I can find.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Norton Anti Virus

Postby Misfit » Wed December 24th, 2008, 11:48 pm

I have had it had it had it with these people. Had to renew the AV thing and ended up ordering a new version with online download. After taking forever yesterday and part of today downloading it twice the frickin' thing will not activate and start the software.

So.... go to the help desk. First I have to download some removal software, takes forever. No luck. Then option #2, chat but holy gee you have to download software to open a frickin' chat window (takes an hour to download, no thank you), choose the email option but that window won't open and if you think I'm going to sit around on terminal hold asking for a PHONE APPOINTMENT they've got another think coming.

Went to the returns option to try to cancel the order but no ----- you have to download the frickin' chat bit again. At my wits end, I'm tempted to just dispute the charge with the credit card and maybe then I can get someone to talk to me. :mad: :mad: :mad:

And then I go to Amazon and find the prices for the software much much cheaper than they were selling.

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Thu December 25th, 2008, 12:42 am

I work for HSBC, a large finance company if none have heard of it and today we had bad news, not financially though. In South Dakota we have a call center and today there was a homicide/suicide incident where a spouse came to work and shot his wife then himself. It was kind of a shell shock cause no one expected it and with the time of year and everything. I pray for the family, nobody deserves that.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu December 25th, 2008, 12:43 am

Nona: how awful! :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu December 25th, 2008, 12:53 am

Sorry to hear that Nona. Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace and joy and goodwill, but it can also be fraught with tension and bring crises to a head.
It's always a shock when it comes nearer to you too. We know HSBC well in the UK.
Les proz e les vassals

Souvent entre piez de chevals

Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Thu December 25th, 2008, 1:01 am

I figured our UK members would know, but HSBC is pretty new to North America.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu December 25th, 2008, 2:40 am

"Misfit" wrote:I have had it had it had it with these people. Had to renew the AV thing and ended up ordering a new version with online download. After taking forever yesterday and part of today downloading it twice the frickin' thing will not activate and start the software.

I wouldnt use Norton. Someone told me it messes up your system and its just overall bad. They have gotten so big they are cocky. I mean I had problems with em too a few months ago I use Kapersky and I like it.

"nona" wrote:I work for HSBC, a large finance company if none have heard of it and today we had bad news, not financially though. In South Dakota we have a call center and today there was a homicide/suicide incident where a spouse came to work and shot his wife then himself. It was kind of a shell shock cause no one expected it and with the time of year and everything. I pray for the family, nobody deserves that.

That is so horrible!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri December 26th, 2008, 9:57 am

Sorry I have been a bit AWOL over the last few days. I have managed to catch a summer cold, and it has totally knocked me around. I have been feeling terrible for the last few days. I am hoping that it is on it's way out now! Hopefully anyway!

Nona, that is a terrible stories. The holidays can be very hard on some people, and some families, and that is one family who will likely struggle from now on.

Divia, I have everything crossed that you find a job that you like, that gives you your tenure as well.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Fri December 26th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Diamondlil, hope you feel better soon, summer colds can be harder to deal with than winter ones.

Hope something turns up in the job market for you, Divia. (I run a library job site btw.)

Well, I spent the entirety of Christmas Day in the emergency room w/my husband, who'd been having odd symptoms (possibly a stomach bug, possibly heart-related) for the previous couple of days. We're at my parents' on vacation after driving from IL-CT on Mon-Tues. They kept him overnight to run more tests, and they'll release him if the tests come out OK, so I'm waiting for a phone call. We missed Christmas dinner (though I had reheated leftovers last night after I got home) and our unopened presents still await! Finished reading Vanora Bennett's Figures in Silk while waiting around yesterday, though, and it was very good.

Return to “Chat”