Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 6th, 2008, 4:54 am

Dang! A small quake just hit (the newsflash says it's 4.0, about 5 miles from me). Which as a Californian born and bred, I'm used to. But it caused a power flicker, and I lost my unsaved word file. I was working on a very awkward letter of recommendation to a zoo (of all things) for someone who once worked with our llamas. Pits, I'm going to have to think that all up again.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 6th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Wow, I'm not normally a complainer, but I seem to be having a run this week ---
Just got an email from the dh, stuck in Heathrow airport due to a busted plane. According to him, they are sending him home via South America and the North Pole with four stops if he is lucky, and can I drive to an airport two hours away and pick him up in the wee hours of the morning if he catches this flight?
Great. It's not like I got a lot of rest last night.

Maybe I'm glad I didn't get to go with him to Edinburgh. Wait till he sees what the dog did to the office and finds out about the impending births.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat September 6th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Geez when it rains it pours doesn't it!

Mega Huggles Lauren!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Kailana
Reader

Postby Kailana » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:28 pm

We're in for stormy weather. We are supposed to get the last of Gustav today and then Hannah is supposed to hit us tomorrow. We don't have a lot of hurricanes, they are usually tropical storms when they hit us, but it normally means no power! Hurricane Juan was our last really bad storm (well, we have blizzards, but you know what I mean) and it left a lot of damage in its wake. Not as bad as some places, but we are not 'supposed' to have weather of that nature, so it is never fun!

Mind you, we are supposed to be having Gustav right now and so far nothing has happened... Just a bit of wind.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:37 pm

I was about ready to come in and claim today's worst prize until I read MLE's post. I was getting ready to vacuum today and put the litter box up off the floor. I heard a crash and yes indeed the damn thing tipped over spilling all that really really fun to vacuum up kitty litter. Luckily there wasn't any business in the box. Joy. :o

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue September 9th, 2008, 10:05 am

The worst thing at the moment (so I can't really complain) is that I'm too busy at work to check this site during the day as much as I normally do!!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue September 9th, 2008, 9:16 pm

My throat is so sore. It hurts to swallow, and I didn't sleep very well at all.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:21 am

No wonder my throat is sore. I have tonsilitis. I was having a lovely afternoon nap to try and catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night and then the school rang and I couldn't get back to sleep! Grrrr.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Wed September 10th, 2008, 5:22 am

Feel better Marg! Sore thoats are just awful. I had my tonsils removed when I was young so no tonsilitis for me, but I've had other really bad sore throats in my time. Mega huggles!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Wed September 10th, 2008, 8:01 am

"diamondlil" wrote:No wonder my throat is sore. I have tonsilitis. I was having a lovely afternoon nap to try and catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night and then the school rang and I couldn't get back to sleep! Grrrr.

Marg, go into the pharmacy and in the health pill section look for Throat Clear. They are pastiles, come in honey and lemon or origonal flavour. They are all natural ingredients and work! They have an antibacterial agent in them.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “Chat”