Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue December 9th, 2008, 3:14 am

"Susan" wrote:Hope you feel better soon, Misfit. Maybe you can make a big dent in your TBR pile!

I just might make the 100 book read challenge on goodreads after all :)

Susan your new avator reminds me of Anna and the King, or am I mistaken?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue December 9th, 2008, 3:24 am

It's too bad I'm not closer to you, I could help you out if it was!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue December 9th, 2008, 3:34 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:It's too bad I'm not closer to you, I could help you out if it was!

SM

Thanks SM. When and if I'm a bit better I should be able to use Metro Access, but that's still dependent on getting up and down the stairs. They're not quite grasping at the office (at least one of them) that this is not a one week fix.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue December 9th, 2008, 3:39 am

"Misfit" wrote:Thanks SM. When and if I'm a bit better I should be able to use Metro Access, but that's still dependent on getting up and down the stairs. They're not quite grasping at the office (at least one of them) that this is not a one week fix.

My mom and Harm are on Access and I'm their attendant, and I've learned to always have a book or two with me cause wait times for pickups can be long at times.

A monthly pass is $18, it went up from $13.50, stupid gas prices!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue December 9th, 2008, 3:52 am

"SonjaMarie" wrote:My mom and Harm are on Access and I'm their attendant, and I've learned to always have a book or two with me cause wait times for pickups can be long at times.

A monthly pass is $18, it went up from $13.50, stupid gas prices!

SM

Thanks, I am guessing that's not going to be a viable option. I know I see their buses coming through here all the time and a neighbor used the several years ago when he was handicapped and unable to ride.

pat
Avid Reader

Postby pat » Tue December 9th, 2008, 5:12 am

Poor you Misfit!

Please take care and do as the dr says!

Happy reading!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 9th, 2008, 6:20 am

Thanks for the condolences, all. And lo siento mucho, Misfit. DO NOT PUSH THAT KNEE! They are very unforgiving of abuse, as the human anatomy goes.

I speak from experience here. I tore my 'interior cruciatus tendon' -- something I didn't even know I had, but I'm guessing the name has the same root as 'excruciating' -- falling through a snowbank on an early-summer packtrip several years ago, and I ignored the knee doctor's warning because I had a big packtrip six weeks later and I didn't want to disappoint all those people. Stupid, stupid mistake.

I now use a pair of hiking sticks religiously to take the pressure off the lower joints. the bright side of that is that pushing down on those sticks actually pulls up on the spine, and over the last several years my posture has improved and my back problems have vanished. So when you are feeling better, I heartily recommend them. You don't have to get the fancy spring-loaded titanium ones at REI, basic models are now in the sporting section of cheap stores for a pittance.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue December 9th, 2008, 8:19 am

Hope your knee feels better soon, Misfit.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Tue December 9th, 2008, 9:40 am

OUCH! Poor you! And having to deal with stairs all the time.

My sister snapped her patella into two pieces a few years ago now. Very painful, and hten very awkward for ages.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue December 9th, 2008, 11:46 am

:eek: :eek: :eek: Misfit, my goodness! So sorry to hear about your accident.
Hope you can get groceries delivered to your door and that you've got a good supply of books in stock! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Chat”