Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Year That Changed Everything by Cathy Kelly
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Sat February 9th, 2013, 11:45 am

Sorry to learn that, Diane, and on a day of all day! Is Penelope micro-chipped? Hopefully she will return safe and sound. Fingers crossed! Keep us updated on any news.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat February 9th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Madeleine and Vanessa, thank you. No, she's not chipped, and indeed not tagged either; she got out of her harness, and her tags are on that. So she's naked as the day she was born and I feel immensely guilty and stupid because I did this. She still is not home, so I am more sure than ever she's been taken in and less than sure she will be returned to me. I'm sick with this now, this happened an hour or so after I was holding her and telling her how over the years I was going to fall so much in love with her, and how I love her so much already.

I finally have just called the animal hospitals closest by. Fortunately, no (bad) luck there - no unidentified puppy patients to be found. No strays matching her description at the shelter who does answer the phone (county) and SPCA has had no reports nor attempted drop-offs of any dog fitting her description either. They would not intake any animal before it had been with the county or city for a week and a half, they always redirect people with strays to the city/county.

So. Someone has my girl, it sounds like - she's not hurt and nobody has seen her body. I'm taking this all as good news. Just praying anyone who took her in will be honorable and seek her home and return her. I miss my baby girl so much.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Sat February 9th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I really hope you have Penelope back safe and sound very soon, Diane. At least if someone has taken her in, if you put up flyers with her photo around town, an ad in the local newspaper, etc, she's much more likely to be returned. Someone may be keeping her at home for the moment, rather than taking her to the shelter, because they're waiting for posters to go up advertising a reward? Not the nicest way of thinking, but at least you would have her back if that was the case.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sun February 10th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Penelope was picked up within probably an hour or even just a few minutes of slipping her harness, and stayed overnight with a woman who happens to volunteer at the city shelter. There were some possible issues between Pen and her pets (a cat and a rehabilitated fighting pit bull) so she brought Penny in the next day. Thanks to Craigslist and Facebook, both she and an employee at the shelter reached out after people saw my ad and put us all together.

I won't be able to pick her up until tomorrow morning at ten, but she is safe and all of us are so happy we found each other. Gossy is all weird because he needs his dog, and the house is so quiet, but I am rejoicing she is okay.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Sun February 10th, 2013, 5:10 pm

"DianeL" wrote:Penelope was picked up within probably an hour or even just a few minutes of slipping her harness, and stayed overnight with a woman who happens to volunteer at the city shelter. There were some possible issues between Pen and her pets (a cat and a rehabilitated fighting pit bull) so she brought Penny in the next day. Thanks to Craigslist and Facebook, both she and an employee at the shelter reached out after people saw my ad and put us all together.

I won't be able to pick her up until tomorrow morning at ten, but she is safe and all of us are so happy we found each other. Gossy is all weird because he needs his dog, and the house is so quiet, but I am rejoicing she is okay.

I am so glad you found her and she's safe.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favorite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Postby Lisa » Sun February 10th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Very glad to hear that Penelope has been found safe and well!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Mon February 11th, 2013, 10:07 am

So glad to hear a good, responsible person found her, and she's safe. Please get her micro-chipped!
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon February 11th, 2013, 7:52 pm

That and a new fence soon too, Madeleine!

She is home and bathed, curled up and being good. Thank you all - and, yes, thanks to all the people on Teh Intarwebs who reached out to save her and to bring her back to me.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon February 11th, 2013, 11:35 pm

So glad she is ok Diane!! I cannot imagine the fear and anxiety you must have felt. But she is home safe and sound. I second the micro-chipping as it does offer a peace of mind if someone honorable finds her. I hope her and gossy said their hellos.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue February 12th, 2013, 4:21 am

Diane: I am SO glad Penelope is home safe and sound, I would be frantic if it was Jasper!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Chat”