Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Fri November 9th, 2012, 5:09 pm

So sorry Divia. It's so miserable when beloved pets move on.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Mon November 12th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Hopefully nothing worse goes on today. I spent most of the morning in the ER with an allergic reaction. Itchy palms, feet and scalp. Throat feeling like someone shoved ball down it. I could breathe fine, but it was very uncomfortable. Not sure what caused it. Could be the 7-Up I've had recently. Could be the ibuprofen I've been taking for my knee. For now I am to avoid all NSAIDs and lemon-lime sodas. I'll be seeing an Allergist as soon as they can fit me in.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon November 12th, 2012, 9:33 pm

LH - aieee! Here's hoping they come up with something definitive and you bounce back toot-sweet.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue November 13th, 2012, 9:55 am

Hope they find out what it is soon, it can be so hard nailing it down.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Postby sweetpotatoboy » Tue November 13th, 2012, 10:44 pm

It's not been a good few months.

In August, after 18 months of bad foot and leg pain, I take a nasty fall, break my foot etc. Spend a few weeks recovering from that.

In late September, I somehow survive a nasty car crash, not quite intact and take a few weeks to recover from the bruising and battering. My car's completely written off.

Two weeks ago, I get a brand new car!

10 days ago, my neurologist says I'll need spinal surgery at some point in the coming few years and that I probably have mild cerebral palsy.....

This evening, I come home to find my flat broken into, completely ransacked but nothing at first glance taken apart from my car keys and my brand new car is stolen from my garage.....

Things can only get better, right?

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Wed November 14th, 2012, 1:17 am

SPB, I don't know you well, but am still so very sorry to hear of your troubles. Hoping insurance will make you whole after the theft, and that you will be well too. My prayers will be among the many for you.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 14th, 2012, 2:30 am

SPB, that is a truly horrific and stinky sequence of awful. I'll add my prayers to Diane's.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Christmas Lights by Karen Swan & The Christmas Card Crime and other stories
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed November 14th, 2012, 9:34 am

So sorry to hear of your troubles SPB; hope the insurance at least sorts the car out and brings an end to your run of bad luck.
Currently reading "Christmas Lights" by Karen Swan & "The Christmas Card Crime and Other Stories"

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee & The Blue by Nancy Bilyeau (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Wed November 14th, 2012, 10:37 am

You do seem to have been in the wars, SPB! How awful for you! I hope 2013 is a lot better.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Postby Ludmilla » Wed November 14th, 2012, 4:02 pm

SPB, that sounds truly awful! Sending good wishes your way for things to get better...

Return to “Chat”