Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Sun July 22nd, 2012, 2:41 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:That will come up later, Rebecca. It's too soon and would be disrespectful at this point to turn political, which that discussion always does.

Yes I suppose so. I forgot how volatile that topic is in the U.S....I can remember once chatting with an American couple and they told me that even when they go shopping they take their guns with them. It wouldn't cross my mind to pack a gun if I go to Woolies.......But I do wish that there could be a law that these lunatics receive NO press. They will be known as criminal X and their photo's not released...In my morning paper what do I see but this lunatics face taking up the whole first page. I think these psycho's think they are now 'celebrities'...it makes me sick!!! How many of them would commit these violent crimes if they know they wont become 'famous?' Of course the press would have to show some responsibility by agreeing not to release personal details of the psycho's personal life.

Something needs to be done.

Bec :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun July 22nd, 2012, 4:03 am

It would make everybody feel better to be able to pretend there is a definitive solution. "No Media!" "No guns!" "No video-game violence!"
But it isn't that easy.

Just to shed a little light on the matter, as the parent of a mentally unstable adult son, none of the above mentioned will help much. When the brain chemicals go whacky on these individuals, there is always a possibility that this kind of reaction may result. Dealing with the (hopefully occasional) tragedy is the price of living in a free society.

There are other ways to control people, but unfortunately, every one tried to date ends up in worse abuse. Mankind is this way. The rest of us have to rise to the challenge.

The odds are good that we will never be in the shoes this young man's parents are in. We believe that our son makes better choices, and that the communication lines are open if he starts to turn to the darker side. And we are there to support him. But every time I see one of these news stories, my husband and I look at each other and we think, "There but for the grace of God is our son."

Our prayers are with the victims and their families.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Postby rockygirl » Mon July 23rd, 2012, 3:44 am

"MLE" wrote:It would make everybody feel better to be able to pretend there is a definitive solution. "No Media!" "No guns!" "No video-game violence!"
But it isn't that easy.

Just to shed a little light on the matter, as the parent of a mentally unstable adult son, none of the above mentioned will help much. When the brain chemicals go whacky on these individuals, there is always a possibility that this kind of reaction may result. Dealing with the (hopefully occasional) tragedy is the price of living in a free society.

There are other ways to control people, but unfortunately, every one tried to date ends up in worse abuse. Mankind is this way. The rest of us have to rise to the challenge.

The odds are good that we will never be in the shoes this young man's parents are in. We believe that our son makes better choices, and that the communication lines are open if he starts to turn to the darker side. And we are there to support him. But every time I see one of these news stories, my husband and I look at each other and we think, "There but for the grace of God is our son."

Our prayers are with the victims and their families.

Your post is very honest and very brave. When these tragedies occur, I do think of the families of the victims, but I also think that the families of the perpetrators are also victims. I've seen families do everything right to assist their mentally unstable children to no avail.
Thank you for making me recognize what those families may be feeling at this time.

I will continue to pray for all the families impacted by this tragedy.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Tue July 24th, 2012, 12:19 am

MLE, thank you for your intelligence, sensitivity, and insight. As always.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 17th, 2012, 1:44 am

:( Today my husband's trip to Europe for his work-related conference got cancelled. which put a monkey wrench in my own trip, since we were taking it together as vacation, starting with his X-org Conference and ending with my HNS conference. So that means the trip will cost almost twice what we have budgeted for it.

I could go alone, but that would mean no vacation for Jay. And since the trip was to include lots of Tudor research, and we do re-enacting together, it wouldn't be fair to leave him out.

So I'm scrapping the conference, and putting the research trip on hold. Rot Larry Ellison! :mad :( CEO of Oracle, which ate up Sun Microsystems, Jay's former--and much nicer-- employer.)

What really annoys is that first they said 'yes' and then, just a month before it's on, they suddenly say 'no'. Good thing I had not yet bought my tickets.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri August 17th, 2012, 2:36 am

That sucks MLE :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 17th, 2012, 2:33 pm

That sucks :( Sorry.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Fri August 17th, 2012, 3:52 pm

So sorry, MLE! A couple of friends work for Oracle and are not that happy with it.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Sat August 18th, 2012, 12:41 am

MLE, I'm so sorry to hear that - here's hoping you both find some way to enjoy a vacation together sooner rather than later (and that you're not out anything on this one!!).
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat August 18th, 2012, 4:08 am

Thanks all. I'm consoling myself by diverting unspent vacation money to updating our bathroom.
Diane, I had already bought my space at HNS London, but to my delighted surprise, they refunded the whole amount to paypal a day after I told them I couldn't attend. HNS is a very class act.

Return to “Chat”