Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 6:42 pm

MLE: I'm so sorry to hear this, and right before Christmas, it's just so wrong :(

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Body in the Ice by A J Mackenzie & A Death in the Dales by Julia Chapman
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 7:44 pm

So sorry to hear your news, MLE.
Currently reading "The Body in the Ice" by A J Mackenzie & "A Death in the Dales" by Julia Chapman

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Fri December 30th, 2011, 2:18 am

MLE, what a sadness, especially for your grandbaby. It's a blessing your family have one another and are so supportive together. Be well, and I know many prayers must be with your granddaughter.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri December 30th, 2011, 2:56 am

Migraines, chest congestion, just not having a great last few days.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri December 30th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear that, Sonja. Makes my cold seem insignificant in comparison.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Sat December 31st, 2011, 3:09 am

"LoveHistory" wrote:Sorry to hear that, Sonja. Makes my cold seem insignificant in comparison.

No! If it's causing you discomfort it is not insignificant!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Sun January 1st, 2012, 3:03 am

"MLE" wrote:I got a call from my former daughter-in-law in Japan (still on excellent terms with her and her family, our troubled son was no picnic to be married to) asking for prayer. Her mother (my 3-year-old granddaughter's primary caretaker) was found dead today. She has suffered from depression for many years, but it was a total shock for everybody. The little one is particularly bewildered.

I am so sorry for your loss MLE....Depression is a terrible illness and very misunderstood....For those who suffer depression it often seems that there is no light at the end of a long dark tunnel, just more darkness. I truly believe that most who commit suicide don't want to die, they just want the pain to stop....My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your little grand-daughter.
In memory of your daughter in law I will make a donation to Lifeline and to an organisation called beyond blue.....

Hugs to you

Bec :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 7:56 pm

My worst thing of the past few days was the fact that it took five kindhearted strangers, two days, close to ninety dollars worth of truck and dolly rentals, and three significant pieces of broken trim to move the antique wardrobe I purchased into my home. All I wanted to do was be able to hang up a coat without its coming out of my 18"-inch-wide downstairs closet looking like a balled-up Kleenex!

The end result, though, is that I am incredibly INCREDIBLY grateful for my friend who came over for two days, for the generosity of three folks at the furniture store (where NOBODY WAS AVAILABLE to move the thing out!), for the time and generosity of one neighbor, and the final push by a complete random stranger in a car who stopped to help and accepted the huge dropcloth the piece was wrapped in overnight for payment for his good deed (he turned out to be a painter!).

Now that the thing is in, the Christmas decorations are down, the house is clean, and my shoulder is resting quietly post-strain, I am warmed both by the warm and beautiful glow of this oak beauty, and by the fact that, hard as the job was, it demonstrated to me the vast willingness of people to be simply good and useful to others they encounter.

So, really, not such a bad worst thing after all ... I may have to cross post this in Best Thing! :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Tue January 3rd, 2012, 2:45 pm

Ok, so it isn't the worst thing, but today is the first day back at work since December 16th. At least it is only a 4 day week! A brightside to everything (I hope) will be my new motto!
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon January 9th, 2012, 3:57 am

*Sniff* OMG! *cries* Our landlady called saying she wants the house back 26 years and we have to be out on July 1st. And I'm feeling so totally overwhelmed. Mom's 69 in Feb and pretty much useless and Harm's still in HS, and it's let to me to try to take care of everything and I don't know what do, cries.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Chat”