Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Tue September 13th, 2011, 5:29 pm

So came back from lunch today just to hear a co-worker and my boss talking about me behind my back. I had just had a meeting with said co-worker where I thanked her profusely for all of her help with a project we are working on. They had their backs to me, so they didn't see that I had come back from lunch and were just going on and on about how I didn't this and that and how worthless I am. Wow. Thought I had graduated high school 10 years ago...
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 13th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Wow, Brenna, that stinks! Now the test is whether you can continue to work with those people without dwelling on what you just heard. Words like that are like being bitten by a snake -- you either suck the poison out at once by replacing them with positive thoughts, or the poison will spread throughout your system.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Tue September 13th, 2011, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Stranger by Kate Riordan & Did You See Melody by Sophie Hannah (Pigeonhole)
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Tue September 13th, 2011, 6:51 pm

They don't sounds very nice people! :eek: Are they both female? It just seems bitchy.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans & The Loving Cup by Winston Graham
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Tue September 13th, 2011, 6:58 pm

that's awful Brenna. What a difficult situation for you.
Currently reading "The Wildflowers" by Harriet Evans & "The Loving Cup" by Winston Graham

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Tue September 13th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Brenna: how rude of them! Huggles!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Postby rebecca » Wed September 14th, 2011, 2:24 am

That stinks Brenna! Always keep this thought to the front of your mind...at least you are not like them!..Usually gossip like this starts because they see something in you that they admire and lack in themselves.

Keep smiling :) that's the best revenge.

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Wed September 14th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Thanks everyone!! MLE-your comparison to the snake and venom did a lot for my morale yesterday, I've printed it out and put it on my office wall as a constant reminder.

Yes, they are both female, the majority of people in my office are. While I love my job, I really don't like the majority of my co-workers. They are just really caddy and make this place feel like high school all over again. They are brilliant people that I know I could learn a lot from, but their pettiness completely puts me off. If I could work from home regularly, I would.

Bec-I have a smile on my face today and will do my bestest to maintain it.
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans & The Loving Cup by Winston Graham
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Wed September 14th, 2011, 1:21 pm

that's the right attitude Brenna, don't go down to their level. Good luck!
Currently reading "The Wildflowers" by Harriet Evans & "The Loving Cup" by Winston Graham

fljustice
Bibliophile

Postby fljustice » Wed September 14th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Ouch! Brenna, it sounds like you're handling it well. Keep that smile, even when it hurts. Sending soothing thoughts your way.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website
User signature picture

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Postby princess garnet » Wed September 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm

At some point in time, their behavior will come back to bite.

Return to “Chat”