Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu June 9th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I often think that about my dogs, Brenna. It worries me that they are now 8 and 10 years old.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Thu June 9th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Brenna, most days I just need MY dog - which reminds me, her eight minutes outside in the punishing heat is over - time for me to run and bring her inside again! She's entirely the best creature on earth, but would happily bake herself to death in summertime ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Wed June 15th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Posting early for tomorrow's worst thing.

Two boys. Dental work. General anesthesia. 6:30am. Hospital an hour's drive from our house. And they've been through this before so they will know what's coming. One has a likely permanent aversion to hospitals because he doesn't like waking up groggy with a sore mouth, surrounded by strangers.

'Twill be a long day.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Two Houses by Fran Cooper
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favorite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Postby Vanessa » Thu June 16th, 2011, 8:27 am

Ooooh, dear, I don't envy them or you. Mind you, being blessed with good teeth, I've never had work done on them apart from the odd small filling (which I haven't had for at least 30 years). Never had an injection in my mouth either. I shudder at the thought!

Anyway, I'd rather go to the dentist than the doctor's any day! Walking into a doctor's surgery makes me feel physically sick and shaky - it's a bit of a phobia I have.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

BrianPK
Reader

Postby BrianPK » Thu June 16th, 2011, 11:00 pm

"Vanessa" wrote:Anyway, I'd rather go to the dentist than the doctor's any day! Walking into a doctor's surgery makes me feel physically sick and shaky - it's a bit of a phobia I have.

Same here :eek: I'll suffer anything (well...almost) rather than go near a doctor. Much to my embarrassment my blood pressure soars at the sight of a white coat and I can't even blame an anxious childhood. It must have something to do with being very negative about the future.

Thought for the day : "Pessimism, when you get used to it is just as agreeable as optimism" Arnold Bennett. :D

DianeL
Bibliophile

Postby DianeL » Fri June 17th, 2011, 1:17 am

BrianPK, maybe not. My dad was the most optimistic man I ever knew, but he had White Coat Syndrome every time. It's nothing to be embarrassed about - you know how many times a day they see that? :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.

---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon June 20th, 2011, 1:34 pm

It's Monday.
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 20th, 2011, 2:22 pm

My Mom seems to have unknowingly purchased several online services which are now debiting her account. Either that or it is identity theft, although her birthdate of 1915 must surely be hard on the thief. Anyway, I have to figure out how to turn off 'free credit report' 'norton internet security' and some auto insurance (she doesn't have a car, let alone a driver's license) which will probably take me months.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Postby Brenna » Mon June 20th, 2011, 4:07 pm

"MLE" wrote:My Mom seems to have unknowingly purchased several online services which are now debiting her account. Either that or it is identity theft, although her birthdate of 1915 must surely be hard on the thief. Anyway, I have to figure out how to turn off 'free credit report' 'norton internet security' and some auto insurance (she doesn't have a car, let alone a driver's license) which will probably take me months.

I would call the credit card company and have them cancel her card and get a new one. Way quicker and gives you time to contact the group that is charging her.
Brenna

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon June 20th, 2011, 6:02 pm

"Brenna" wrote:It's Monday.

Actually it doesn't bother me that it's Monday, since I don't work, Sunday is my least favourite day, no mail!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Return to “Chat”