Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

chuck
Bibliophile

Non feeling bureucrats

Postby chuck » Thu October 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:GRRR! I'm in a very bad mood! There will most likely not be a cost of living adjustment for Social Security payees, which includes my mom, me and Harmony!

Also our washer and dryer are both on the fritz and the one guy who fixes appliances on this god forsaken island has been on vacation and was supposed to be back last Monday!

Expletive Scream Expletive, you get the picture!

SM

I feel your pain and frustration SM....It's not Obama's fault or the Republicans it's the Soc Sec. Administration...basing their cuts on a 1970's Economic formula....Ridiculous in this day and age of high inflation.......BTW Obama is trying get through the Congress/Senate a $250.00 payment to all Retirees...Last time they tried the Senatorial Republicans and a couple of Democrats voted it down.....BTW Don't forget to vote on Nov 2ND.....

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Thu October 21st, 2010, 8:03 pm

"SonjaMarie" wrote:GRRR! I'm in a very bad mood! There will most likely not be a cost of living adjustment for Social Security payees, which includes my mom, me and Harmony!

Whenever my mom complains about no cola for Soc Sec, I gently remind her that many, many people are in the same boat. In order to remain competitive and just stay in business during these tough economic times, the company I work for has not been able to increase the fees we charge our clients for three years -- which means they cannot give colas to employees, either. So our salaries have been flat for three years.

Social Security colas are tied to the consumer price index, which usually increases from year to year. However, during our current recession it has actually remained fairly flat.

Yes, I could definitely use a cola, but for now I am just content to have a steady paycheck, as I know many who do not even have that :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu October 21st, 2010, 8:06 pm

"Michy" wrote:Whenever my mom complains about no cola for Soc Sec, I gently remind her that many, many people are in the same boat. In order to remain competitive and just stay in business during these tough economic times, the company I work for has not been able to increase the fees we charge our clients for three years -- which means they cannot give colas to employees, either. So our salaries have been flat for three years.

Social Security colas are tied to the consumer price index, which usually increases from year to year. However, during our current recession it has actually remained fairly flat.

Yes, I could definitely use a cola, but for now I am just content to have a steady paycheck, as I know many who do not even have that :)

Yes, it has been tough. We've had a lot of benefit take-aways plus reduced hours at times. A whole lot less employees as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Thu October 21st, 2010, 8:08 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Yes, it has been tough. We've had a lot of benefit take-aways plus reduced hours at times. A whole lot less employees as well.
We laid off about 1/3 of our workforce in 2009 -- and some of those people are still unemployed. I feel for them, but had we not taken such drastic measures (reduced our office space, as well) we would not still be in business today.

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Thu October 21st, 2010, 9:37 pm

"Miss Moppet" wrote:Fare rises of up to 50% on tubes and buses. No sign of any improvement in services - when they aren't cancelled altogether because of strikes or engineering works, that is - but once again, massive above-inflation hikes.

Edited to say: I tell a lie, it's up to 74% according to the article, depending on what ticket you buy.

Ouch! I just got my water/sewer/garbage bill from the city (they bill bi-monthly) and they have increased our sewer charges by about 25%. And of course there's nothing we can do about it because you've gotta have sewer, after all. :o This past summer they raised our water rates by a big chunk, as well, although it's hard to tell just how much because you're charged according to how much you use and, of course, they don't put that information on the bill. It seems unfair that I pay the same for sewer and garbage as a household of x number of people, but, oh, well. :(

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 12:23 am

Our sewer costs went up this summer too. Thank goodness we have a well instead of village water.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 1:28 am

Dental infection. :( The whole lower left side is swollen -- I don't dare talk for fear of rapping my teeth together. So far, the antibiotic hasn't taken hold.

I' trying to cheer myself up by thinking of dental options-- or the lack thereof -- in the 16th century. Or Kenya.

I wish it was working.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 1:28 am

"MLE" wrote:Dental infection. :( The whole lower left side is swollen -- I don't dare talk for fear of rapping my teeth together. So far, the antibiotic hasn't taken hold.

I' trying to cheer myself up by thinking of dental options-- or the lack thereof -- in the 16th century. Or Kenya.

I wish it was working.

I feel for you, I know the pain that teeth can cause!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Russ Whitfield
Reader

Postby Russ Whitfield » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 9:05 am

Hotmail account hacked and used by spammers.

Crap.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 2:04 pm

Sorry about your dental infection, MLE.

Russ are you sure the account has been hacked? I frequently get spam that is supposedly from my email account, but in reality is from somewhere else. They call that spoofing. At any rate change your password immediately (if you haven't already).

Return to “Chat”