Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Postby Lady Macbeth » Sat August 1st, 2009, 5:50 pm

Yes, tis truly dismal. A friend of mind had tickets for Edgbaston today and never got to see a ball struck in anger. Whatever happened to the barbecue summer the Met Office so faithfully promised us?
User signature picture

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 3:38 am

Grr a book I really really wanted "Royal Tombs of Great Britain" went from $45 (but not in stock) to over 130 used and no sign that they'll be getting more of the book at the price they had shown. Dang it!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 4:59 pm

Hang in there, SM... It took me forever to get two books I really wanted that were both scarce and pricey. (John Julius Norwich's books on the Normans in Sicily, and Lowry's quasi-biography of early Venetian printer Aldus Manutius.) It took me years before I found copies at reasonable prices, but watching and waiting paid off in the end. Just keep on eye on all possible outlets... And obviously, the $45 wasn't a 'real' price if there was nothing available at that price. At some point, someone will want to sell and undercut the market or there will be someone who doesn't know the value of what they have. Right now, the Aldus book is priced at $180 and up; I paid $50 last year (after having seen prices north of $250.) Normans in Sicily is $175; I paid about $65.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Postby SonjaMarie » Mon August 3rd, 2009, 5:49 pm

Thanks CB! The $45 is what Amazon was showing as it's sale price. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if they get any more in. I wondered what would've happened if I had ordered it while none were in stock cause it said they'd mail once they had more, but now that message is gone.

SM

"Chatterbox" wrote:Hang in there, SM... It took me forever to get two books I really wanted that were both scarce and pricey. (John Julius Norwich's books on the Normans in Sicily, and Lowry's quasi-biography of early Venetian printer Aldus Manutius.) It took me years before I found copies at reasonable prices, but watching and waiting paid off in the end. Just keep on eye on all possible outlets... And obviously, the $45 wasn't a 'real' price if there was nothing available at that price. At some point, someone will want to sell and undercut the market or there will be someone who doesn't know the value of what they have. Right now, the Aldus book is priced at $180 and up; I paid $50 last year (after having seen prices north of $250.) Normans in Sicily is $175; I paid about $65.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=114965

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Tue August 4th, 2009, 8:03 pm

Insomnia, again. Then I slept through my alarm. And now I'm still tired and groggy...

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Postby Ken » Tue August 4th, 2009, 8:19 pm

"Chatterbox" wrote:Insomnia, again. Then I slept through my alarm. And now I'm still tired and groggy...

Chatterbox!

Come home, come home to Cornwall!! I spent the afternoon walking along the Atlantic cliffs from St. Agnes to Peranporth, with the wave crashing onto the shore and the surfers contesting the waves - Bliss!

Come home and wake up every morning to the sound of seagulls crying into the cool morning air, even though these summer days, it's mostly damp morning air!

Only problem is - not doing enough writing!!!!

Come home, Chatterbox!

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Postby Chatterbox » Tue August 4th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Ken, you have a deeply evil streak, don't you?? ROTFL!
Don't make me feel grumpier than I already do. You do realize that technically I'm an 'emmet', right? One of those evil Americans that shows up in summer (or late spring or early fall), to boot?
It's home, but not home *heaves giant sigh*

But I'm sure the walk did your mind good, blowing away all the cobwebs. I could do with one here, except it's all concrete, edgy New Yorkers and muggy weather.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Postby Ken » Tue August 4th, 2009, 10:01 pm

I like to think I'm more mischievous than evil - but you're right, I am probably a bit (very) naughty!!

I lived more years than I care to remember in big, hot, humid and sweaty cities (Johannesburg, Manilla, Seoul, etc) and now, in retirement, I can revel in the fresh, cool winds coming off the Atlantic!

I must say however, that the constant rain can be a right pain! It's true what they say about rain on St. Swithin's day!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Postby LoveHistory » Thu August 6th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Not my worst thing, but I felt like sharing.

There is a debt collection agency that is in for a rough time, having contacted my mother to try to reach me regarding a debt that does not exist. I am 100% certain on this point. There is no debt. Plus the young man was not nice to my mother and hung up on her.

If it was any other week (meaning one where I was up to a theraputic dosage of my new anti-depressant) anger would not have energized me quite so much. I've contacted my attorney, two US Senators, one US Congressman, my state's Department of Financial Institutions, and the Federal Trade Commission.

If I thought it was a misunderstanding, I'd be much less annoyed. But I looked this company up. They violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices all the time, all over the country, and I am not the first person they have pursued for a debt that is non-existent. They threaten people, they break the law, they should be investigated, fined, sued, something.

This kind of company gives honest debt collectors a bad name.

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Postby zsigandr » Thu August 6th, 2009, 3:29 pm

LoveHistory - Sorry to hear about this problem that you are facing. I have to say good for you though. It sounds like this company just intimidates people until they pay rather then go about collecting it honestly. I think you did the right thing by contacting other officials and agencies. Hopefully, with their help this company can be dealt with accordingly.

I wish you the best and take care.
Andrea

Return to “Chat”