Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cafe Press

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Cafe Press

Post by Rowan » Mon September 15th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Hey y'all.... well someone asked about selling on eBay and I know many here buy, but I was wondering if anyone has ever bought anything from Cafe Press. I set up a shop on there using my favourite photograph from my holiday in England last January, but I don't know how successfull I'll be. :o :o

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon September 15th, 2008, 8:34 pm

I have bought one thing - some postcards that say I Love Jamie Fraser, but that is it.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Mon September 15th, 2008, 9:03 pm

Are they nice? I mean do you think you got your money's worth?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon September 15th, 2008, 9:05 pm

I guess they were a little on the expensive side, especially once you factor in the shipping from the US to Australia, but I am happy with them!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon September 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Well I can understand being on the expensive side because you're allowed to mark up the price so you make money. I marked up an over-all 25% on all products, but I know you can go as much as 100%.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue September 16th, 2008, 12:06 am

I have purchased from them, it really depends on the 'store' you are using. I purchased an Obama bumpersticker that was spelled out in ASL. Unfortunately, the handshapes were wrong! I returned it and promptly got my money back as well as a $5 off next purchase. In fact, anything I haven't liked and returned, they've been wonderful. I tend to purchase baby gifts that can be personalized, or mugs for friends (one of my favorite that I've given many is 'don't bother me, I'm reading! I even gave it to our school custodian, who always has his nose in a book if he is not out fixing something) I also tend to buy from certain stores that match my interest, and I've gotten used to a couple that I like to frequent.

BTW I mentioned this before, but this site can get on there and sell things like tshirts and mugs. Readerville, another book forum, has used it for years to make a little extra cash. Not sure how it would work, but I think its worth looking into.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue September 16th, 2008, 1:33 am

I've thought about starting a store of Lady Jane stuff but I'm not sure it would sell much and if I used images from my collection there's always the matter if it's copyrighted or if it's someone elses artwork I'd need permission and share the profits, if there was any. Just seems too complicated to even bother with.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Tue September 16th, 2008, 2:29 am

I've bought from them before. They're great for specialized items. I've bought some pitbull and rat logos on clothing. The clothing is just average quality, nothing special. I almost bought some Obama t-shirts and stickers but I ended up buying directly from Obama's website so I could be sure the money would go to his campaign.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Tue September 16th, 2008, 12:51 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I've thought about starting a store of Lady Jane stuff but I'm not sure it would sell much and if I used images from my collection there's always the matter if it's copyrighted or if it's someone elses artwork I'd need permission and share the profits, if there was any. Just seems too complicated to even bother with.

SM[/quote]

Yes there are rules about the artwork that you use. Thankfully mine is just a photograph that I took while on holiday in England so I don't have that issue. As far as doing something for this forum we could sell, I can create a few graphic options and use those on whatever we want to sell.

Return to “Chat”