Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Monarchs one-on-one

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Monarchs one-on-one

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed February 16th, 2011, 10:47 am

I was reading about the field of gold celebration betwixt Henry the viii and Francois the I (1520). It sounds like a great party. But the thing that piqued my interest was the personal wrestling match between Henry and Francois. (Francois won). We know these monarchs were both very athletic so its not too surprising.

http://www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/clothofgold.htm

But it got me thinking about other times when royals met in face to face in combat/competition, either for fun or in actual battle. Despite what hollywood tells us, I reckon this was pretty rare.

Can anybody think of other examples where royalty met royalty in combat (i know there are examples of royalty fighting non royalty, im looking for royals personaly engaged in combat with other royals)

Just curious. I wanted to get some info sharing. thanks.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Would you consider Henry Tudor (Henry VII) and Richard III as royalty vs. royalty? I don't specifically remember if they actually came face to face, but they were certainly both there and fighting.

Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine come to mind. ;)

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed February 16th, 2011, 3:26 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Would you consider Henry Tudor (Henry VII) and Richard III as royalty vs. royalty? I don't specifically remember if they actually came face to face, but they were certainly both there and fighting.

Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine come to mind. ;) [/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of monarchs (or perhaps generals/leaders etc.) actually crossing swords personally or even in a friendly match like Henry and Francois.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 6:42 pm

Well then I don't think I'll be much help. Even Henry and Eleanor didn't cross physical swords face to face, though she did lead an army against him.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 5th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I can think of a few examples from byzantine history where an emperor was personally killed by his successor but these wouldnt really count as "King vs King"

Maybe the royal wrestling match up above was a singular event.

Return to “Questions and Research”