Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

CW1Reader2011's Reading List

Keep track of your reading for 2011 here! One thread per member, please.
CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Thu March 31st, 2011, 3:55 am

Hi "Ms Misfit"'

Thx for imput. I read 'Game of Kings" before I got into Niccolo's Series.
I'm just abt finished the 5th book( of Niccolo). I think I'll take a break and read some of the "TBR" stack I keep accumulating. Oh hum! :o :o
I have NOT done my taxes, yet . I've been so engrossed in these books.
My wife & I had to go out and buy a new Electric range, also.

Life, life, life...
it goes on & on.

bi 4 now!:

CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

2011 continued

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Mon April 11th, 2011, 12:31 am

It's April 10th. I just finished Jeff Shaara's
great book about the American Revolution
"The Glorious Cause". It's the 2nd part of the story , which began in "The Rise to Rebellion". The first book I read a year or so, ago. Then I read Shaara's book about WWI " To The Last Man", six months ago. Now I finished the story of the revolutionary war. THis one starts soon after the signing of the Declaration of Independence until the Yorktown surrender of General Cornwallis.

OK! I took a break from the "Niccolo" series. I'll get back to it soon. (Five books in 2 months is a bit much to absorb).

I think I will re-read "Sarum", next. ( Edward Rutherfurd's, best).

I'm heading for "merry, olde England", metaphorically.

talk, soon.
by for now. :) :)

CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

Continuum/ Pt 2

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Sun May 8th, 2011, 2:59 am

Hi everyone.
I'm still reading "Sarum". We have been v-e-r-r-y busy in April, what with 3 concerts we had to rehearse for( Church Choir & 2 other Choruses ), plus a 4 day trip to North Carolina. Plus I also got a couple of "video games" which have distracted me to no end. Anyway, I will finish Sarum, shortly! I'm in the 1500's, reading about "Bloody Mary's effect on Salisbury's residents. Just 5 centuries left to the finish.

May u all have a good spring. I know many have not had one with all the floods and tornados, so far. But things will improve.
BTW, my wife and I loved the Royal Wedding..It was "smashing!!

Talk soon
Bi Bi.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 8th, 2011, 11:20 am

I read Sarum years ago (very much enjoyed it!) and have always intended to re-read it because in the meantime I have visited Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. One of these days...
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

Continuum 3

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Wed May 25th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Hi folks,

I finally finished "Sarum", last week ( May 14th ). I have since taken a slight hiatus from HF (into SF ). I finished Dan SImmons "Illium", very stunning re-telling of "The Iliad/ In Search of Lost Time/ The Tempest". It had as many literary allusions as Dorothy Dunnetts' books. "Olympos" is my next project before I return to my other HF books on my TBR list.

have a gud Memorial Day weekend.

Chow!! (sic)

CW1Reader

CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

Continuum, Pt 3

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Sun June 19th, 2011, 7:11 pm

It's June 19th, I've just finished another SF book Gene Wolfe's "The Litany of the Long Sun". I'm still taking that hiatus from Historical Fiction after having read "Illium" & "Olympos" by Dan Simmons. I keep on buying more & more books but my reading has slowed as the heat of summer has hit central NJ.
Maybe I'll go back to D. Dunnett's "Niccolo" series, soon. Any suiggestions from fellow readers??

Talk soon!
:D :D :D

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue June 21st, 2011, 3:29 am

If you enjoy Dan Simmons, I really do recommend his book, The Terror, a HF set in the Franklin Expedition to the Arctic in the 1840's. Very good, and very creepy.

CW1Reader2011
Scribbler

"Into the Forest" by Sara Donati. It's great!

Post by CW1Reader2011 » Thu July 28th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Telynor,
Thx for info, I have this book on my TBR pile, somewhere!! I'm now back to HF for a bit, after a rather long leap into SF. I read Gene Wolfes "Litany for a Long Sun" He's one of the best writers in this genre. I've since read two of the twenty books written by "Ellis Peters" (aka Edith Parteger), Cadfael Chronicles. I was at a "flea market", again!! Their were 14 of the Cadfael books for sale for a quarter a piece. I hemmed and hawed about buying so many more books that I put it away for awhile as my wife and I explored what else was for sale. After awhile I went to the lounge and waited. The Librarian of the clubhouse came out and put some books on the "free for the taking" shelf. Lo and behold, the Cadfael books were there. I grabbed them.
That was the "best buy" of the day!!

My wife and I took a train trip up to Niagara Falls, Ontario and met her sister & nephew for a belated birthday celebration. I read 2 of them on the trip.

Now, it's July 28th and I'm reading S.K. Penman's "The Sunne in Splendour", I read this about 8-9 years ago. I'm only 100 pages into it, (Edward 4th ) just became King. Not so much about Richard III, yet. He is still a child. It is a different world where men and women were treated in a brutal and inhumane way.

Got to go, big things are happening between York & Lancaster. BTW, are we living through this again, in DC??

Bi 4 now
Last edited by CW1Reader2011 on Fri August 12th, 2011, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I forgot to mention another book I just read.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2011”