Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gone With the Wind

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 30th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Update:

I'm bored today so searched for it (in Australia's Gutenberg PDF file). You're right, Michy, I only found the exact phrase once. This occurs as Scarlett is making her way back to Tara with Melanie and Prissy, after Rhett has left them:
Was Tara still standing? Or was Tara also gone with the wind which had swept through Georgia?
I could have sworn I'd seen it one other place, but it doesn't come up in the search. There are plenty of passages that recall the imagery and that refer to their way of life being gone, though. I might have been thinking of this line from chapter 7, for example:
But the South was aflame with war, events roared along as swiftly as if carried by a mighty wind and the slow tempo of the old days was gone.
I'll save the rest of my thoughts for the April discussion thread.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed March 30th, 2011, 8:17 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Michy, you have a good memory if you remember that and it's been awhile since your last reading. It only struck me because I just finished reading it over last weekend, and I thought I saw it twice (but I can't always trust my memory about these things).

I'll do a word find when I can access the epub edition I have on my home computer and post back.[/quote] It's been about 20 years since I've read it.... My memory is very curious and illogical. There are some things that my mind retains like a steel trap. Other things my mind retains like.... well, like a steel sieve. :)

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Fri April 1st, 2011, 10:35 pm

According to Wikipedia the expression "Gone with the Wind" is only used once.
Scroll down to "Title" http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Gone_With_the_Wind

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”