Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gone With the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 6:39 pm

We could do what has been done in my family for years...cast the remake.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu February 17th, 2011, 1:00 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I have the Alexandra Ripley one on my TBR pile.[/quote]

My personal opinion - leave it on the shelf. Very disappointing after the original classic.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Oh dear, is it that bad!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu February 17th, 2011, 5:49 pm

I tried Rhett Butler's People and gave it away after reading the first chapter, really bad, baddity bad! I'll have to look up Scarlett's Rules too, thanks Michy! :D

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri February 18th, 2011, 5:44 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Oh dear, is it that bad![/quote]

In my humble opinion I'm afraid it is. Sorry.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed March 30th, 2011, 12:14 pm

A Piece of 'Gone With the Wind' Isn't Gone After All

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/books ... &emc=tha28

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed March 30th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Very cool news, Ash. Thanks for sharing it.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 30th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I'm glad the editor persuaded her to switch the name from Pansy to Scarlett. Pansy, the name, is just so literally antithetical to the personality and image we have of Scarlett (unless she was going for irony there).

I also think "Gone with the Wind" is the best title choice. "Tomorrow is Another Day" isn't bad, as it is repeated several times throughout the story (gone with the wind is actually repeated a few times too ), but I would not have liked "Tote the Weary Load".

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed March 30th, 2011, 4:59 pm

I had heard these bits and pieces before -- about the way the book was written, stuffed in envelopes that were stuffed all over her house, etc. I also believe that the opening chapter was the last part she wrote -- either immediately before submitting it to the publisher or immediately after. I've also read that she got cold feet and tried to get the manuscript back, but of course the publisher wouldn't give it back. Lucky for us. :)

[quote=""Ludmilla""](gone with the wind is actually repeated a few times too ), but I would not have liked "Tote the Weary Load".[/quote] I only remember it one time -- when Scarlett returns to Tara and sees the destruction, Mitchell wrote something along the lines of, "the old life was gone with the wind that blew over Tara...."

Where else have you come across the phrase "gone with the wind?" This just emphasizes to me that it's time for me to re-read the book. :)

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 30th, 2011, 5:14 pm

[quote=""Michy""] I only remember it one time -- when Scarlett returns to Tara and sees the destruction, Mitchell wrote something along the lines of, "the old life was gone with the wind that blew over Tara...."

Where else have you come across the phrase "gone with the wind?" [/quote]

Michy, you have a good memory if you remember that and it's been awhile since your last reading. It only struck me because I just finished reading it over last weekend, and I thought I saw it twice (but I can't always trust my memory about these things).

I'll do a word find when I can access the epub edition I have on my home computer and post back.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”