Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gone With the Wind

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue February 15th, 2011, 10:15 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Any of you read the "follow up" book Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley?[/quote]

I have. It was a long time ago though. So I don't really remember.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:25 am

I did too. It was ok. There was a TV movie made based it in the 90s.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:43 am

Are you talking about the authorized sequel, or the one the other one? The latter was so bad that within days of it being released, my local used store had three copies of them. I tried reading it - oh my. Not worth the lawsuit the Mitchells started to keep it from being printed.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 16th, 2011, 1:20 am

[quote=""Ash""]Are you talking about the authorized sequel, or the one the other one? The latter was so bad that within days of it being released, my local used store had three copies of them. I tried reading it - oh my. Not worth the lawsuit the Mitchells started to keep it from being printed.[/quote]

Was that The Wind Done Gone? Wasn't there one that's been sold everywhere but the US? Even if you order it from say Amazon UK they can't ship to a US address.

Don't even get me started on Rhett Butler's People, another one authorized by the MM estate. Bad bad bad bad bad.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:24 am

I'm feeling glad that I've been a snobbish, GWTW purist. I've spared myself from all these awful sequels, prequels and spin-offs. ;) Although I have one little book on my shelf called Scarlett Rules by Lisa Bertagnoli that I've enjoyed. The author is a diehard GWTW fanatic -- she's read the book 22 times. :eek: She's compiled 24 life lessons inspired by Scarlett O'Hara. It's a fun read.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 16th, 2011, 5:21 am

I shall have to track down Scarlett Rules now.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 16th, 2011, 9:54 am

I have the Alexandra Ripley one on my TBR pile.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Not me; I'm a GWTW purist. If Margaret Mitchell had written a sequel, I definitely would have read it. But I'm not interested in anyone else's spin-off of her book. :) [/quote]

I wrote a scene (at someone's vague suggestion, and just for laughs) that inserts James Bond in the library at Twelve Oaks. You might enjoy that, though it's not a sequel by any means. ;)

I have read a condensed version of Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley. It was ok. Not fantastic. And some of the plot stretched the bounds of my belief, but it had the happy ending so many people wanted. The TV movie was so horrible I never finished watching it. Bad casting for everyone but Anne Hampton.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 16th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Oh I remember that TV series, watched the first part and that was enough, and I'm not even a fan of the original. Awful. Not even so-bad-it's-funny.
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine & "A Noel Killing" by M L Longworth

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed February 16th, 2011, 1:00 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Was that The Wind Done Gone? Wasn't there one that's been sold everywhere but the US? Even if you order it from say Amazon UK they can't ship to a US address. .[/quote]

That was it - and yes it was sold in the US. I tried reading it and it was gawdawful. (the title itself should clue you in). I never tried to read Rhett Butler but I heard it wasn't much better

Wondering - this book is being considered for the BOTM. Should we hold off discussion here until/if its chosen? Or make sure we stick to the film version of the discussion?

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”