Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Suggestions for November 2008's Book of the Month

Retired Threads
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 16th, 2008, 8:45 pm

Something a little naughty maybe ;)

The Making of Victorian Sexuality by Michael Mason
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue September 16th, 2008, 9:20 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective (Hardcover)

For those who like Victorian England, suspense, and narrative nonfiction, I think you'll really enjoy this. Even if it doesn't get chosen for BOM, I highly recommend it![/quote]

Ooooh, I have that one on my TBR pile. It does look good.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue September 16th, 2008, 9:30 pm

If you're not squeamish and you enjoy shows like CSI, I think you'll really like this! There's not too much blood and gore, but a young boy does die.

I know we can only vote for one book, but other narrative nonfiction books I can highly recommend are The Billionaire's Vinegar and The Lost Painting. I finished both in two days. In fact, I was trying to debate which of those three to nominate!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Wed September 17th, 2008, 12:41 am

Evan S. Connell's "Son of Morning Star"....A biography of George Armstrong Custer...reads like fiction and we get to know the Custer,his Devoted Wife Libby and his final march to Valhalla......
Last edited by chuck on Wed September 17th, 2008, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 17th, 2008, 9:37 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective (Hardcover)

For those who like Victorian England, suspense, and narrative nonfiction, I think you'll really enjoy this. Even if it doesn't get chosen for BOM, I highly recommend it![/quote]

I have had this on my TBR list for a while, but didn't realise that it was a non-fiction read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed September 17th, 2008, 2:08 pm

Yes, it does look like historical fiction, doesn't it?! It also reads like historical fiction in some ways. Delicious period details, fleshed out characters - but it all really happened.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Wed September 17th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Hmmm....that looks like a really good book! Thanks for mentioning it - now it goes on my wish list! I love a good murder mystery - especially a real one!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed September 17th, 2008, 10:57 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria" by Julia Gelardi. I'm reading it right now and it's really good.[/quote]

I second this one! I also like Georgiana.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu September 18th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Murder of a Medici Princess by Caroline P. Murphy
Marie-Therese Child of Terror by Susan Nagel

Georgiana would also make an excellent choice.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 19th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Telynor, which of those two books are you nominating?

We now have a full poll, once I know which one from Telynor.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Archives”