Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why is American History Shunned in HF novels?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed September 17th, 2008, 1:12 am

The American Winston Churchill wrote successful U.S. HF for his era, from the 1770s through the Civil War. I particularly enjoyed The Crisis.

Fred Mustard Stewart wrote a series about the immigrant experience.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 12:34 pm

I don't think it is that American history is boring, though it is somewhat, but that it is not as 'rich' as European history or Middle Eastern history. I mean rich as in turmoil, peace, battles, beheadings of Figure heads and treason was rife no matter where you went. American history has Salem Witch Trials and gunfights at the OK corral which are not boring but most of Americas history seems 'tame' otherwise.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat September 20th, 2008, 2:04 pm

[quote=""nona""]I don't think it is that American history is boring, though it is somewhat, but that it is not as 'rich' as European history or Middle Eastern history. I mean rich as in turmoil, peace, battles, beheadings of Figure heads and treason was rife no matter where you went. American history has Salem Witch Trials and gunfights at the OK corral which are not boring but most of Americas history seems 'tame' otherwise.[/quote]

Someone once said ' When the facts become boring print the legend'....As much as I love European History/HF.....They have had centuries to embellish the facts and legends.....

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat September 20th, 2008, 2:36 pm

For me, to get really interesting you have to go back at least 300 years. If you stay in America, at least North America, that leaves you with a scarcity of material: some culture artifacts, oral history, and a lot of speculation.

Recent history tends to lean more heavily on law and group procedural decisions and less on personal leaders. Much as I prefer representative democracy to live under, it lacks the drama of absolute monarchy to read about.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat September 20th, 2008, 2:45 pm

If you define 'history' as what the rulers did, then you are right, America is a very young country with not much history to show for it. But if you include what happened to the people of a country as part of that history, then there is a wealth to choose from. I know I have learned much about America just by reading the novels about the people who live there. Definitely not boring history!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Thats what I'm talking about!

Books about everyday people can be so rich and interesting.

So many unique things happened in America.
Great Awakening
Utopia communties (sexual ones too)
Susan B. Anthony
Matilda Joslyn Gage (amazing woman!)
Mary Church Terell
Wiskey Rebellion
Civil War
War of 1812
Rev. War
Gold Rush
Nat Turner Rebellion
Gabrielle's REbellion
Spiritual movement

I dunno I guess if it doesnt have castles or kings people think its a dull story. Its sad really.

I understand that its not everyone's choice. And thats fine, but I would like to see more American HF.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I totally agree with you......With some research American History is very interesting and compelling....Each state has it's own history and unique story to tell....The East, the South, the Midwest and the West.....The stuff of books.....For me the early/colonial era is more to my liking, but I'm open to any good tale.....

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Someone needs to writes some HF set in American and have it sell like hotcakes.

Then maybe we will get more stories in America. But its not just that like I said before something besides European history would be nice.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat September 20th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I like some American HF just not all, I'm not into the Civil War or WWI or WWII doesn't mean I don't respect those that are or those who lived it, it just doesn't trip my trigger so to speak. Every once in a while I'll read some early american HF but it's colonial or early western. My father in Law and grandfather are fanatics on Civil War, they say I have no respect for my heritage, they're not all serious but not really joking either, they tend to forget I'm second generation off the ole' boat from Germany. lol.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat September 20th, 2008, 4:06 pm

We are indeed a nation of immigrants and may tend to idealize the awful places our blessed forebears wisely left.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “General Discussion”