Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Eagle (of the Ninth)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue March 29th, 2011, 7:14 pm

[quote=""Sintra""]It's so sad that many great shows were lost this way.[/quote]

There was a series around about 1970 that was shown very late on Sunday nights and I was, unfortunately, too young to see it very often -- called The Borderers set during the middlish 16th century. One of the main characters was Sir Walter Ker of Cessford (memories of Dunnett here) played by Iain Cuthbertson (of the wonderful voice and accent) and another was played by a very young Michael Gambon. It was produced by Scottish TV. There were only two series (I think) but I would really love to watch all of them now.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue March 29th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Posted by SGM
Nothing is quite as tragic as the loss of Pete and Dud but I undertstand that these and presumably their version of the Eagle were not VHS but reels and often they were just thrown into skips from whence they were relocated to people's homes which is why we still have some. the beeb now have a policy of borrowing these items back with no questions asked and returnning tje item once copied. So there is still a chance. The radio dramatisation does still exist and is avilale at Amazon.
Here's hoping that there's still a chance for a reissue of the BBC TV series of Eagle of the Ninth, then. With the reawakening of interest in the story associated with the movie release, a lot of people have been asking about the old series.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue March 29th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I don't remember the Devil's Crown but I remember very clearly the final scene in Hereward the Wake. It was filmed in the keep at Portchester Castle and I was there very shortly after watching my dad play cricket (large grounds, you know).

http://www.portchestercastle.co.uk/fortsdefs.html

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue March 29th, 2011, 9:40 pm

I remember The Devil's Crown! It was in about 1978 and starred Brian Cox as H2 and Jane Lapotaire as El. I remember it being very stylised, an attempt to capitalise on the (then) recent success of I Claudius.

I also fondly remember the beeb version of Eagle of the Ninth, which must have been from around the same time. Can't believe they taped over it :( Not like it was a cheapo gameshow or something....

Saw the movie on Sunday and enjoyed it. I think they made a deliberate choice to cast American actors as Romans - it worked for me, as it wasn't too overdone. The whole thing did kinda feel like a western, what with that and the Mohicanish picts, but again I thought it worked and it was fun. :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:07 am

[quote=""Leo62""]I remember The Devil's Crown! It was in about 1978 and starred Brian Cox as H2 and Jane Lapotaire as El. I remember it being very stylised, an attempt to capitalise on the (then) recent success of I Claudius. [/quote]

Was it good?
I wish someone would make a show about the Plantagenets now! Tudors were boring in comparison :(

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Chalet by Catherine Cooper
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:13 am

I don't remember any of those shows, but I just did a search on Amazon for Eagle... and it brought up "Arthur of the Britons", now that I do remember! With the (I thought at the time) lovely Oliver Tobias......

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed March 30th, 2011, 11:22 am

[quote=""Sintra""]Was it good?
I wish someone would make a show about the Plantagenets now! Tudors were boring in comparison :( [/quote]

I'm not sure...don't think it quite worked, though I do remember Brian Cox being perfect as Henry.

I also remember Arthur of the Britons - which thankfully didnt' get taped over. Didn't Oliver Tobias go on to co-star with Joan Collins in The Stud? :D
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 30th, 2011, 1:05 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]I'm not sure...don't think it quite worked, though I do remember Brian Cox being perfect as Henry.

I also remember Arthur of the Britons - which thankfully didnt' get taped over. Didn't Oliver Tobias go on to co-star with Joan Collins in The Stud? :D [/quote]

Yes :eek: ! Not sure what else he's done.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed March 30th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I remember Arthur of the Britons -- but not exactly as a childrens' classic. Oliver Tobias seems to have starred in another TV series called "The Smugglers" which is actually available from Amazon but I don't remember it all. It's possible that reels of The Eagle of the Ninth still exist -- after all the BBC found and sold on DVD The First Churchills and I think that was from about the same time.

You just never know some of these programmes may well turn up again at some point. We can but hope.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Eagle of the Ninth - going cheap on Kindle

Post by SGM » Mon April 18th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I did notice a couple of weeks ago that this was costing about £6.99 - but there is now an edition for £1.05 and that seems like a real bargain to me so I am having one.

Having just lugged back seven rather heavy library books from the City library today (and broke my bag under the load) which is not much fun when you are on a really crowded bus, I can honestly say that I am quite happy to move into the electronic age.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”