Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Eagle (of the Ninth)

annis
Bibliomaniac

The Eagle (of the Ninth)

Post by annis » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 2:01 am

Too cute! Someone has put together a Playmobil version of The Eagle trailer :) I want some Playmobil Roman soldiers for my birthday!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOD0fCDny-I

An initial review for the movie is pretty positive. It seems they have captured the significance of the landscape in the movie, which is good. The powerful presence of the natural world is a very strong element in Rosemary Sutcliff's stories.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 5:03 am

I look forward to seeing "The Eagle"......Just wish they turn down the Special Effects and I don't like the look of the Picts....OTT Blue and they don't look human.....

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 5:10 am

Maybe they raided Mel Gibson's special effects department and found some leftover pots of Braveheart Woad Blue :)

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 5:18 am

Along with bad looking Kilts.....

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 5:06 pm

[quote=""annis""]I want some Playmobil Roman soldiers for my birthday!
[/quote]

Me too! The trailer was fun, but I had the feeling English wasn't the writer's first language.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 6:19 pm

Posted by FLJustice
The trailer was fun, but I had the feeling English wasn't the writer's first language.
Lol! Yes, an enthusiastic attempt, but a bit off-skew here and there.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 6:39 pm

Back to the 90's....In the near future MTV is going to reboot the "Beavis and Butthead" series Heh ..Heh....Target market is the new batch of High Schoolers...Snarkism will reign again...I wish they would have a rebooted "Geeks and Freaks".....

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 9th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Guess I'm going to have to read Sutcliff's book because there is a write up about the movie in the January (?) issue of BBC History Magazine and they also mention a statue of a Roman eagle which also figures into the story, which is a bit confusing.

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed February 9th, 2011, 9:42 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]they also mention a statue of a Roman eagle which also figures into the story, which is a bit confusing.[/quote]

It's quite possibly this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld ... UnhnEJkAAw

Note the statement at the end of the description, which says that it is NOT a military standard.

Reading the book will give you a much better understanding of the film, IMHO. Plus you'll really enjoy it.

I see that Simon Scarrow is not the only one to misspell Sutcliff's name (a crime I myself have been guilty of). In the link above, which is on a BBC website, it's also misspelt! :o
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 9th, 2011, 9:59 pm

I will search for the book at the lieberry. :p

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”