Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

March 2011 BOTM: Nominations

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

March 2011 BOTM: Nominations

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 2:16 pm

Again going by the themes that members have suggested, the theme for March will be historical novels set in the 19th century (note that this does not include novels written by 19th-century authors). Nominations close February 7. Please note: only one nomination per member.

If you could post the publisher's description of the novel you're nominating, that would be very helpful to the moderators.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 3:19 pm

If you could post the publisher's description of the novel you're nominating, that would be very helpful to the moderators.
As well as phrasing your nomination as it would go into a poll, easier to copy and paste instead of retyping :)

I'll nominate India Black by Carol Karr.
When Sir Archibald Latham of the War Office dies from a heart attack while visiting her brothel, Madam India Black is unexpectedly thrust into a deadly game between Russian and British agents who are seeking the military secrets Latham carried.

Blackmailed into recovering the missing documents by the British spy known as French, India finds herself dodging Russian agents-and the attraction she starts to feel for the handsome conspirator.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 4:42 pm

Yes! The victorian era! :)

The Raven's Bride by Lenore Hart

When eight-year-old Virginia "Sissy" Clemm meets her handsome cousin, Edgar Allan Poe, he seems the very image of the make-believe husband she conjures up in childhood games. He’s thirteen years her elder, but kind, soft-spoken,brooding, and, handsome. Eddy floats in and out of her life as he fails his way through West Point and then the army. Each time he returns to Baltimore, their odd friendship grows, and her understanding of the moody, troubled writer deepens.

As Sissy prepares for a career on the musical stage, her childhood crush turns to love. When she is 13, Eddy proposes marriage, swearing to care for her forever. Yet even child brides eventually grow up, and it's really Eddy who needs caring for, who leans on her. She gains his complete devotion, true -- yet also must endure his abrupt disappearances, strange moods, and the aftermath of alcoholic binges. Then, when she falls ill, Poe’s greatest fear – that he’ll once again lose a woman he loves – drives him both to near-madness, and to his greatest literary achievement.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 6:37 pm

My nomination is:

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor
In the bitter winter of 1847, from an Ireland torn by injustice and natural disaster, the Star of the Sea sets sail for New York. On board are hundreds of fleeing refugees. Among them are a maidservant with a devastating secret, bankrupt Lord Merridith and his family, an aspiring novelist, a maker of revolutionary ballads, all braving the Atlantic in search of a new home. Each is connected more deeply than they can possibly know. But a camouflaged killer is stalking the decks, hungry for the vengeance that will bring absolution. The twenty-six day journey will see many lives end, others begin afresh. In a spellbinding story of tragedy and mercy, love and healing, the further the ship sails towards the Promised Land, the more her passengers seem moored to a past which will never let them go.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am

The Raven's Bride by Lenore Hart

I've been a fan of Poe since my 6th grade teacher had us reading his poems and stories outloud. I'd love to read that (is it YA?)
Last edited by Ash on Thu February 3rd, 2011, 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 2:24 am

[quote=""Ash""]The Raven's Bride by Lenore Hart

I've been a fan of Poe since my 6th grade teacher had us reading his poems and stories outloud. I'd love to read that (is it YA?)[/quote]

Nope not YA. Thought I suppose it could be market to the age group.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu February 3rd, 2011, 2:33 am

FYI, Raven's Bride comes out on the 15th of this month.
Last edited by Ash on Thu February 3rd, 2011, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Sat February 5th, 2011, 11:32 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]My nomination is:

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor[/quote]

I vote for this one..........another addition to my TBR pile! Thanks Vanessa!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 5th, 2011, 11:41 am

It's been on my TBR pile for ages!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Feature of the Month”