Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? February 2011

Retired Threads
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue February 15th, 2011, 5:18 pm

[quote=""SCW""]Can anyone recommend any worthwhile historical novels set in Ancient Rome. (I've read 'I Claudius' and the Colleen Mcculloch series)[/quote]

Any particular Roman era or sub genre? If you want to go pre-Imperial and more literary, I'd recommend Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin a retelling of The Aeneid from Lavinia's POV (Bronze Age Italy.) Also Latro in the Mist (an omnibus of two books) by Gene Wolfe about a Roman mercenary who fought in the Greek-Persian wars who sustains a head injury and loses his short term memory and can now see gods and ghosts (Momento meets The Sixth Sense.) Loved both. Also Memoirs of Hadrain by Marguerite Yourcenar which is a classic and I haven't read.

Robert Harris has a well-regarded series on Cicero beginning with Imperium as well as a stand-alone Pompeii. For military fiction check out our own Ben Kane and his series starting with the Forgotten Legion. If you like mysteries, Steven Saylor has a bunch (Roma Sub Rosa series featuring Gordianus the Finder) and Lindsey Davis has more (Marcus Didius Falco series.) I've read a couple of both and enjoyed them. I read both of Saylors' multi-generation books and liked both, but preferred Roma. Conn Iggulden also has a series on Caesar, but I haven't read them. I've reviewed several of these books on my blog. There are bunches of good books out there and something for everyone's tastes. Enjoy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 15th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Also, on the Roman theme, Wallace Breem's Eagle in the Snow, John Williams' Augustus and Lindsey Davis' Course of Honour

And still running with Romans, I'm currently reading Simon Scarrow's new YA novel, Fight for Freedom, which is a good story and perfectly pitched to its target audience.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue February 15th, 2011, 7:21 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I haven't read it yet either, I have all 3 on mount tbr :o I think it's one I'll have to be in the right mood to read, I'm told you need to concentrate and it takes a while to get into it too. Good luck! ;) [/quote]

After all the hype I found the first book disappointing. Haven't graduated to the second - but I'm told it's the best of the trio.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue February 15th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Going to start Conquest by Stewart Binns later today unless my copy of a book I"m supposed to review next week shows up (finally...).

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue February 15th, 2011, 9:18 pm

I've finished "The Queen's Jewels" by Leslie Field (184pgs, 1987)*. A book about the jewelery owned by Elizabeth II. This is actually a reread. I was given this book back in the late 80s by my mother. One day while I was reading it, a dog we were watching leaped at me with the book in my lap, tearing one page and ripping others out of the book! To say the least I was NOT happy! This dog may also have been the one that leaped at our Christmas tree one year and knocked it down breaking many irreplaceable decorations, and also may have been the same dog that someone put in my room and who then preceded to chew up my recorder (the instrument) that had belonged to my mother and that she gave to me. If they were the same dog or separate ones, I didn't like them one bit! And am still bitter about it!

About the book, it has gorgeous images, though I wish Field had used coloured ones for many of them, black and white doesn't do them justice. Also she would describe jewels owned by other members of the family but not show pictures of them, which was annoying. I know the book is about the Queen's jewels, so she should've just kept it to just hers if she wasn't going to show the others.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:55 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Tonight I'll be starting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. My husband is desperate to watch the film - we have the DVD - so I thought I'd better read it next. I'm probably one of the few who haven't read it yet![/quote]
This series is enthralling. Lisbeth Salander is a mesmerising character! Read the book, then watch the Swedish movie....of course, never as good as the book!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

kauldron26
Scribbler

Post by kauldron26 » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:57 am

Reading The Covenant by James Michener

kauldron26
Scribbler

Post by kauldron26 » Wed February 16th, 2011, 2:58 am

[quote=""SCW""]I've just finished Moby Dick. Looking for something else to read now.
Can anyone recommend any worthwhile historical novels set in Ancient Rome. (I've read 'I Claudius' and the Colleen Mcculloch series)[/quote]

Steven Saylor's Roma is pretty damn incredible.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 16th, 2011, 5:24 am

The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels (non- fiction from the college library). Not sure what made me want to read this one.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed February 16th, 2011, 9:46 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]Tonight I'll be starting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. My husband is desperate to watch the film - we have the DVD - so I thought I'd better read it next. I'm probably one of the few who haven't read it yet![/quote]

I read it last month - enjoyed it, but needed to read something a bit less gritty afterwards!

Reading Eagle by Jack Hight - about Saladin. It's 1148 and people are wearing plate mail. Saladin's sister has taken a fancy to Saladin's (called Yusuf) Saxon slave and has been making out with him in the stables. Lots of punch ups and fighting.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Archives”