Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James I

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Greg
Reader

Books set in the court of James VI & I

Post by Greg » Tue April 12th, 2011, 2:50 am

In the theme of this discussion I come across a novel set after a fashion in the Scottish court of James VI a few years before he gained the English throne. I found it dare I say a rollicking adventure and a lot of fun.
It was PF Chisholm's Sir Robert Carey's A Surfiet of Guns. As I said I found it quite amusing since it portrays the Scottish court as conniving, treacherous, duplicitous and up for hire. As for James, well with a court like that it no wonder he shot off to England at the first opportunity.

Regards Greg

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue April 12th, 2011, 7:36 am

[quote=""Greg""]In the theme of this discussion I come across a novel set after a fashion in the Scottish court of James VI a few years before he gained the English throne. I found it dare I say a rollicking adventure and a lot of fun.
It was PF Chisholm's Sir Robert Carey's A Surfiet of Guns. As I said I found it quite amusing since it portrays the Scottish court as conniving, treacherous, duplicitous and up for hire. As for James, well with a court like that it no wonder he shot off to England at the first opportunity.

Regards Greg[/quote]

I agree, its a really fun read.

But, unfortunately, James did not escape the Scottish court when he gained the English throne. He merely took it with him -- to the dismay of the English court.
Last edited by SGM on Tue April 12th, 2011, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue April 12th, 2011, 5:20 pm

I really enjoyed Patricia Finney's Sir Robert Carey mysteries. Jeremy Potter covered similar ground in his novel Disgrace and Favour, written in 1975.
Last edited by annis on Tue April 12th, 2011, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRTomlin
Scribbler

Post by JRTomlin » Thu April 14th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Oh, James VI... Too bad.

I would love to find a novel about James I. A much more interesting king. Anyone know of one?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri April 15th, 2011, 7:34 am

[quote=""JRTomlin""]Oh, James VI... Too bad.

I would love to find a novel about James I. A much more interesting king. Anyone know of one?[/quote]

Tranter's - Lion Let Loose is about James I, I think. I haven't read it yet but its around somewhere.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”