Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James I

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Perdita
Reader

James I

Post by Perdita » Mon January 31st, 2011, 9:25 pm

Are there any novels about the court of James I? I've read The King's Daughter by Christie Dickason which was really good and got me wanting more from that era.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon January 31st, 2011, 9:56 pm

Jean Plaidy's The Murder in the Tower is set in his court (I'm reading it now as my treadmill reading, but as I haven't been on the treadmill lately, I can't comment much on it).
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 31st, 2011, 10:05 pm

Thomas Costain, For My Great Folly, involves the court of James and England under his rule.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon January 31st, 2011, 10:22 pm

Thanks a million, I'll check them both out! :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue February 1st, 2011, 4:56 am

Jeremy Potter's Disgrace and Favour is partly set in James' Scottish court, but also covers the period when he becomes King of England. It features several of the same characters as P F Chisholm's Sir Robert Carey series, including Sir Robert himself.

Fairly predictably, Nigel Tranter had a go with a novel called Right Royal Friend, told from the POV of James' cupbearer.
Last edited by annis on Tue February 1st, 2011, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm

There's 'Wife to Great Buckingham' by Hilda Lewis.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Tue February 1st, 2011, 10:45 pm

[quote=""annis""]Jeremy Potter's Disgrace and Favour is partly set in James' Scottish court, but also covers the period when he becomes King of England. It features several of the same characters as P F Chisholm's Sir Robert Carey series, including Sir Robert himself.

Fairly predictably, Nigel Tranter had a go with a novel called Right Royal Friend, told from the POV of James' cupbearer.[/quote]

Thanks Annis. I've just had a look at Right Royal Friend on Amazon and it got a 1* review, ouch! The reviewer said she/he bought the book expecting it to be brilliant because it was by Nigel Tranter but it was awful. Tranter died in 2000 apparently but the copyright date was 2003 with the name of a woman author. A bit strange!

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 1:26 am

The Serpent Never Sleeps by James O'Dell features James I early on in the story.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 5:24 am

Posted by Perdita
I've just had a look at Right Royal Friend on Amazon and it got a 1* review, ouch! The reviewer said she/he bought the book expecting it to be brilliant because it was by Nigel Tranter but it was awful. Tranter died in 2000 apparently but the copyright date was 2003 with the name of a woman author. A bit strange!
Tranter wrote truckloads and his work varies wildly from pretty good (Bruce Trilogy) through to a lot of just pedestrian work and also some downright awful stuff. I haven't read Right Royal Friend myself, but unfortunately it sounds as if it might be one one of the latter! Personally I don't think I'd ever label Tranter brilliant.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed February 2nd, 2011, 3:10 pm

There are several historical spy thrillers by Martin Stephen set at and around the court of King James I/VI in London, starring the fictional adventurer/spy Sir Henry Gresham (a sort of James Bond type). King James is a secondary character in 'Conscience of the King' (review here: http://www.carlanayland.org/reviews/conscience_king.htm). I don't know if he features much in the others.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”