Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

iPads Anyone?

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

iPads Anyone?

Post by Rowan » Thu January 27th, 2011, 9:07 pm

I know there are some here who own Kindles, some who own Nooks, some who own something else and still others who own neither and think everyone else is loony. :p I get it.

This post is strictly for anyone who owns an iPad and also loves to read. :p My apologies to the rest of you. I don't knock your device or your seething hatred of them. :D ;)

I have discovered two of the greatest apps a book owner/lover like me could possibly hope for. Goodreads certainly has its place, but as of now it's not a mobile site. Unfortunately Goodreads doesn't have an app, but I have found two apps that do essentially what Goodreads does and more.

iBookshelf
Book Crawler

Both of these apps have a lot of capability for the same price: $1.99.

For $29 (or less) you can buy a Cue Cat and iPad USB adapter and scan the barcodes of every book you own and compile them into a nice long list. Of course neither of these is required because both apps will accept direct input of ISBN numbers and will download all information about the books to your iPad. Both apps can access bookstores in your area to check availability as well as your nearest library.

The only difference I can see so far is that Book Crawler allows you to create different catalogues - including a 'to read' list - and iBookshelf doesn't seem to. Having said that, though, I should also state that I have contacted the developer of iBookshelf to find out if it has the capability.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri January 28th, 2011, 5:24 am

I have an ipad too. I will have a look at those apps, though I do have all my books catalogued on librarything. I do already have a cuecat somewhere too......

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri January 28th, 2011, 9:30 am

Goodreads has an iPhone app - I'm surprised you can't use it on the iPad too. I mean, the iPad is essentially just an iPhone with a larger screen. You'd think the same apps would be usable. Nothing is ever simple.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri January 28th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I have an iPad too, but I'm not yet interested in replacing my current methods for cataloguing, tracking and keeping up with what I read and buy. In fact, I'm feeling the need to take a step back from automating my life with technology. These are yet more competition in an already crowded market of apps vying for our attention.

stu1883
Avid Reader
Location: I live in Bristol, England with my wife Nicki & our kittens Boomer & Magic

Post by stu1883 » Tue February 1st, 2011, 10:58 am

I know iPads are popular and look fun to use - but I have to say they are not for me. I love technology and gadgets, but never normally buy something until the 2nd generation at least. That way most bugs and irritating things are ironed out.

I didn't think I would take to my Kindle but I can hardly put it down and I am sure you feel the same about your iPad. I've even got a KIndle app for my Sony phone (I am Sony mad, by the way) but reading on a tiny screen is not to be recommended!!

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Tue February 1st, 2011, 1:35 pm

This is Apple we're talking about stu. They do things right and work out the bugs before selling the product. The only adjustments I've heard about for the next generation of iPads is adding a camera, (possibly) reducing the size a bit and changing around the space offered. I've not had any problems with mine in the short time I've had it and don't anticipate any.

The only complaint I've found so far - by others, not me - is that Adobe Flash is not allowed. The reason is that these days a lot of viruses and other such nasties have been transmitte through flash animations. I can honestly say I do not miss it, but then again, I have my laptop still and if I absolutely have to view something with flash, I'll pop on there. It sure does make viewing sites pleasant when you don't have those obnoxious ads jumping, flickering or otherwise moving around. Steve Jobs is really pushing toward HTML5 which has animation and stuff already integrated, which is only natural because the internet and computer industry are constantly evolving so I am thankful for his stance.

*jumps off double-stacked soap boxes (I'm short)*

Mythica... I can use iPhone apps. Wonder where I went wrong in missing the one for Goodreads. Hmmmm... will look again in a bit. Thanks!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue February 1st, 2011, 2:11 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]The only complaint I've found so far - by others, not me - is that Adobe Flash is not allowed. The reason is that these days a lot of viruses and other such nasties have been transmitte through flash animations. I can honestly say I do not miss it, but then again, I have my laptop still and if I absolutely have to view something with flash, I'll pop on there. [/quote]

Same here (we have a PC connected to our entertainment system at home and a home office desktop which I use). An example of when you'd miss the Adobe Flash is when looking at the radar in motion on a weather webpage. I mainly use my iPad for surfing the net. I was competing with my daughters for time at the computer and using the computer connected to our entertainment system isn't always practical, so my husband bought me the iPad as an early birthday present last year. The iPad is great for what I use the internet for (most of the time).

I do have the Kindle app on my iPad, but recently got a Kindle to sync with the ipad, because I don't want to carry my iPad to work. There is the glare issue when reading on an iPad too. I can control the lighting at home so glare isn't an issue there, but when out and about it is. Plus, Kindles are just lighter and more portable for reading on the go. I also loaded the Bluefire app on my iPad. It supposedly allows you to read library books on your iPad but I haven't actually tried (forgot my pin #, and have to actually go to the library to sort out resetting it which irks me to no end!).

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Tue February 1st, 2011, 2:27 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]This is Apple we're talking about stu. They do things right and work out the bugs before selling the product. [/quote]

While I don't think the iPad had any problems, there was one with the iPhone 4 - the signal would drop off when the antenna band was touched. They resolved it by giving out a protective bumper so users wouldn't touch the band. They handled it well and resolved it quickly but none the less, the problem was discovered after they went out on the market so Apple are not completely immune to bugs that slip through the cracks.
The only complaint I've found so far - by others, not me - is that Adobe Flash is not allowed. The reason is that these days a lot of viruses and other such nasties have been transmitte through flash animations.
It's more than that, I think. My understanding is that Steve Jobs hates Adobe, for a number of reasons. Some of them are valid but since Adobe makes Photoshop, which I can't live without, I can't really get on board with his angry hatred of them and his public lash outs. I've never been a huge fan of flash anyway though.
*jumps off double-stacked soap boxes (I'm short)*
Ditto!
Mythica... I can use iPhone apps. Wonder where I went wrong in missing the one for Goodreads. Hmmmm... will look again in a bit. Thanks
Try: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodread ... 33469?mt=8

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Tue February 1st, 2011, 2:34 pm

Ludmilla... I solved the glare problem by buying a screen protector. Of course I didn't research it and have since discovered that I could have paid far less than the $35 Best Buy gouged out of me. :rolleyes: At least I wasn't dumb enough to pay another $15 on top of that to allow their geeks to put it on bubble-free. The instructions that came with the protector said that the bubbles would work themselves out over time and they have.

Mythica... I don't consider hardware problems to be bugs, but you have a point. As far as Jobs' relationship with Adobe, someone on a forum I joined said he's got his hand in the business, but without proof, I take that with a grain of salt. Still, I don't want Adobe to go away completely, just get rid of a program that allows viruses to spread and isn't really a big money maker for them anymore.

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Tue February 1st, 2011, 3:39 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]At least I wasn't dumb enough to pay another $15 on top of that to allow their geeks to put it on bubble-free. [/quote]

LOL see I would have paid that because I'm terrible at putting those things on.

The instructions that came with the protector said that the bubbles would work themselves out over time and they have.

If the bubble is caused by something trapped underneath it like dust, it will not work it's way out. I have a bubble on my iPhone (told you I was bad at putting them on, lol) and it's been there for almost a year because there's a visible piece of dust under it (I swear I carefully cleaned it first before applying the screen protector! But the second I put it down, more dust just floats down on it before I can get the screen protector on!). I've only left it that way because it's not on the actual screen part, it's up near the ear piece so it's not a big deal. I upgrade my phone in June though so maybe this time I'll do a better job putting the screen protector on, lol.

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”