Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Odd Email - Advice Wanted

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Odd Email - Advice Wanted

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 26th, 2011, 6:10 pm

A website called "The Royal Wedding William & Kate" wants me to sponsor their site on my Lady Jane Grey website, this in it's self isn't all that unusual, but it was something else they said that put my radar up....

"As we have an overlap in our target audience, I wondered if you would be interested in The Royal Wedding William & Kate sponsoring your website in return for some small text links advertising on your website pages?

For example we could sponsor your site for £50 per year in return for a small text link; which could help with the running costs for your website. (Prices are negotiable)"

What do you ladies and gentlemen think? Too good to be true? Why would they pay that much for a few small text links on a rather obscure website?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed January 26th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I had a similar offer (not in connection with the royal wedding) to link on my blog or website to some group that markets online education programs. (I turned it down.) I was wondering the same thing, but someone must be thinking that such linking would generate enough hits on their site to make it cost-effective.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 26th, 2011, 6:38 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I had a similar offer (not in connection with the royal wedding) to link on my blog or website to some group that markets online education programs. (I turned it down.) I was wondering the same thing, but someone must be thinking that such linking would generate enough hits on their site to make it cost-effective. Maybe it's some sort of pfishing site?[/quote]

I went to the site, and it's definitely (or at least looks like) a website about the Royal Wedding. But I'm still suspicious. I think when I was younger I would've leaped at the offer, but now I'm just paranoid about things like this, lol!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 26th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I would tread cautiously unless you can find a way to verify their *identity* by independent means. Google any addresses or phone #'s that are there. Check out the IP address where the email came from via a who is search. I always approach mysterious offers suspecting the worst.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed January 26th, 2011, 10:57 pm

I, of course, can't speak to the reliability of this particular website. However, my brother has an on-line magazine and two podcast sites. He has this sort of arrangement with other sites, and it seems to be win-win. Maybe it's worth checking out, maybe not.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 27th, 2011, 9:23 am

It seems like it would be best to make sure it is 'bone fide' before making any decisions. Perhaps you could contact them, pointing out your concerns?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

I Don't Suppose

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Sat January 29th, 2011, 10:35 pm

These people want your banking information to pay you?

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun January 30th, 2011, 2:59 am

[quote=""G. Alvin Simons""]These people want your banking information to pay you?[/quote]

No, they didn't say that in the email and I would never give that out, if this was legit, I'd ask for them to pay through PayPal.

I haven't responded yet.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 30th, 2011, 3:33 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]No, they didn't say that in the email and I would never give that out, if this was legit, I'd ask for them to pay through PayPal.

I haven't responded yet.

SM[/quote]

BTW if they send you a check, no matter how legit it loog, and it's for too much, I assume you're aware of the old "just keep a bit for your trouble and wire me the difference" BS. Once you wire money, it's gone forever and you'll never get it back.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun January 30th, 2011, 3:34 am

[quote=""Misfit""]BTW if they send you a check, no matter how legit it loog, and it's for too much, I assume you're aware of the old "just keep a bit for your trouble and wire me the difference" BS. Once you wire money, it's gone forever and you'll never get it back.[/quote]

Yeah, no, I wouldn't accept a check. And the bank will come at you for the money!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Chat”