Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downton Abbey

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu May 3rd, 2012, 2:19 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Well I'm waiting on discs from Netflix. DA has become so popular that there is a very long wait on some of the discs, because all the copies are out and whoever put them in their queue first gets the next available copy. I'm way down the line for Season 2, Disc 1 apparently. Of course I could get Season 2 Disc 3 with no wait, but I don't imagine that would work as far as following the storylines.

Can't justify spending the money to buy the whole season at this point.[/quote]

Oh :confused: I don't really understand what Netflix is, though I've heard it mentioned. I simply buy the box set of the season as soon as they come online at Amazon U.K....But this does mean that I have bought some duds, but I am way too impatient to wait, I prefer buying it entire. But I have noted that prices have gone up on Amazon :rolleyes: ho hum oh well...I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't do drugs, my only extravagance is books and DVD's. :D I think it's a good vice to have :D lol.

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri May 4th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Netflix is an American movie rental company that sends DVDs right to your mailbox. You keep them as long as you like and mail them back in the envelopes that the company provides (tear a flap off the original envelope, seal, and send). They also have a streaming service where you can watch online but I don't have that anymore. I ditched it when the increased the prices. Wasn't really using it anyway.

A lot of people want to watch DA on DVD, far more than the number of copies they have of it. So some of us have to wait until we move up in the waiting line and then we'll get the next disc that becomes available.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs either. I love books. Not as big on buying DVDs, unless I really love them.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun May 6th, 2012, 3:41 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Netflix is an American movie rental company that sends DVDs right to your mailbox. You keep them as long as you like and mail them back in the envelopes that the company provides (tear a flap off the original envelope, seal, and send). They also have a streaming service where you can watch online but I don't have that anymore. I ditched it when the increased the prices. Wasn't really using it anyway.

A lot of people want to watch DA on DVD, far more than the number of copies they have of it. So some of us have to wait until we move up in the waiting line and then we'll get the next disc that becomes available.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs either. I love books. Not as big on buying DVDs, unless I really love them.[/quote]

I prefer to watch on DVD as I like to watch 2 hours each night rather than the obligatory 45 mins once a week interspersed with 20 adverts :eek: ...I don't think we have netflix here, but if I enjoy a show then I am quite happy to re-watch it a few months later...For instance I have watched Cranford about 3 times now. I just LOVE that show! :D ...It would be great if they made a 'Christmas at Cranford' for later this year...Ah well......sigh.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun May 6th, 2012, 7:12 pm

I too loved Cranford. I keep telling my parents they HAVE to see it because I know they'll love it too. As far as I know Netflix is just in the US, and maybe Canada. They're trying to add more but the international rules are different so it's a long process. And you're right about watching it all at once.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun May 6th, 2012, 8:50 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I too loved Cranford. I keep telling my parents they HAVE to see it because I know they'll love it too. As far as I know Netflix is just in the US, and maybe Canada. They're trying to add more but the international rules are different so it's a long process. And you're right about watching it all at once.[/quote]

I'm sure we have Netflix here in the UK too. My husband tried it out a few years ago but he could never be bothered sending the dvds back. He's so lazy. :rolleyes:

According to wikipedia, it's available in United States, Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, United Kingdom and Ireland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon May 7th, 2012, 11:06 am

Yes it's just started in the UK.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue May 8th, 2012, 3:38 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I too loved Cranford. I keep telling my parents they HAVE to see it because I know they'll love it too. As far as I know Netflix is just in the US, and maybe Canada. They're trying to add more but the international rules are different so it's a long process. And you're right about watching it all at once.[/quote]

Oh Cranford is a must...It is television treasure..I loved it so much that I wish they'd make one every year. It is becoming difficult to find anything of quality to watch so these shows such as the above, and Larkrise to Candleford and Downtown Abbey are jewels and will stand the test of time.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu July 5th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I'm finishing up season one online.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri July 6th, 2012, 6:34 pm

I've finished season two. Now begins the long, long wait for season three discs. My parents are considering just buying it as each season comes out on DVD.

I wonder if Netflix will let me save season three already...

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri July 6th, 2012, 7:00 pm

I thought season three came out this year?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”