Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The "New Adult" Genre

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

The "New Adult" Genre

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue January 11th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Has anyone heard anything more about St. Martin's Press's creation of the New Adult genre?

They announced it in late 2009 (I think) saying something along the lines of...the genre would include stories with protagonists in their twenties gaining employment, experiencing adult relationships, and figuring out what part they want to play in the world.

As reader and writer, I was hoping this genre would take off because I love the fast pacing and fresh tone of YA but I don't want to read/write about young teens. I want some New Adult Historical Fiction/Fantasy.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 12th, 2011, 12:29 am

Personally I don't think we need to compartmentize books any more than they already are. There is plenty of YA books which are of different genre, there is plenty of sci fi/fantasy/HF written for adults that YA can read with little problem. Im tired of the Hispanic lit, the Gay lit, the Women's lit, when they should all be part of the same group of general literature. But thats just me being cantankerous.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed January 12th, 2011, 9:23 pm

I understand your feelings, Ash. I really wish all adult fiction were shelved together as they are (so I've heard) in the UK.

I was only longing for a blend of my two favorite genres. Historical Fiction and YA. I know, I know, there's HF YA, BUT I want books about historical adults for adults with the same kind of writing found in YA. YA books tend to be less stodgy and more humorous and highly visual.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 13th, 2011, 2:45 am

Actually these books about 20 somethings wouldn't be YA. YA is teen characters only.

This group of reader is very neglected. You have books for everyone up to their teens and then they skip the 20 something years and go right into adulthood.

I don't see aproblem with creating these books. Would they sell? Good question and this has been tossed around alot. Is it because there isn't a market for this age group. Or is it because this age group just doesn't want to read?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

BTW Alisha, love the avatar. I'm a Joan fan :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu January 13th, 2011, 12:19 pm

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I really wish all adult fiction were shelved together as they are (so I've heard) in the UK. [/quote]

This is not the case. Most UK bookshops of any size have separate sections for crime and for sci-fi/fantasy at least. It is quite rare not to see that. And depending on size, you may see separate sections for other genres, such as romance, classics, horror etc.
I see plusses and minuses to both approaches.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat January 15th, 2011, 3:38 am

Divia, thanks for the avatar love. Joan rocks. And yes I know books with 20something protags would not be YA--I was just saying that I'd like the writing style of YA to show up in the New Adult genre if it ever comes into existence.

Sweet Potato Boy, thanks for the info. I'm not sure where I heard that misinformation. Hey, just curious, what the backstory on your name? I know here in the southern US we make lots of sweet potato casserole...just wondering.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 17th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Alisha, I wasn't commenting to you about the YA genre, but to Ash.

I'd be interested to see how the new genre does.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon January 17th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Why can't people in that age group just read adult books like I did at that age? Why another new category?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon January 17th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Because they can't identify with the characters. Its the same with YA. They want to read about other 20 somethings going through the same things...getting jobs, love lost etc. etc.

I don't see a problem with it personally.
Last edited by Divia on Mon January 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue January 18th, 2011, 4:17 am

Sorry for my confusion, Divia. I see now.

Ash, I guess the root of all my whining is my WIP--so nobody probably cares for the moment at least. It's just that I can't pitch my novel YA because my prot is 20something and I just don't feel like I write like regular adult HF writers. I wish I could, but it's just not me.

Also, I would love to read more books that are similar to my style so that I can further understand who I am as a writer. I suppose A Fool's Tale is kinda like me. Her characters are admittedly more modern acting so that they are appealing to a modern audience but her research (setting/politics/etc) are sound.

I'm babbling. I will stop now. I've had a few beers.

Return to “The Writing Business”