Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Watch a Preview of Starz's Latest Sex-and-Violence Saga, Camelot

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Tue March 22nd, 2011, 10:22 pm

The pilot was pretty good, and i liked that there was some magic and that they included Kay in the story.
I love King Arthur legends so i couldn't miss this. My main complaint here is Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur.
He looks like a child of Johnathan Rhys Meyers and Kristen Stewart, and not in a good way. And his acting is pretty bad.
I love Bradley James in that role. I know you can't take BBC's Merlin seriously (i watch it as a guilty pleasure) but i always liked Arthur in it. He looks believable as a spoiled brat and as a great future king, and it's a shame that Merlin's screenwriters are not able to pull off a decent show with such cast and sets.

Camelot is better story-wise, but i wish i could just change Arthurs! :)
James Purefoy and Eva Green are fascinating though.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed March 23rd, 2011, 1:40 pm

Purefoy and Green should be good. Can't quite picture Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, but acting-wise he is certainly capable.

Don't like the looks of Jamie Campbell Bower. Too young, too "pretty." Looks like he'd get his rear end seriously kicked on a battlefield. Arthur is supposed to be a warrior as much as anything. Even if he doesn't fight much he should look like he can win.

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Wed March 23rd, 2011, 2:22 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]
Don't like the looks of Jamie Campbell Bower. Too young, too "pretty." Looks like he'd get his rear end seriously kicked on a battlefield. Arthur is supposed to be a warrior as much as anything. Even if he doesn't fight much he should look like he can win.[/quote]

Well, it's not the fact that he's young and pretty (Bradley James can pull it off being young and pretty), it's just that he looks like a serfer and not like a legendary king :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed March 23rd, 2011, 11:39 pm

[quote=""Sintra""]Well, it's not the fact that he's young and pretty (Bradley James can pull it off being young and pretty), it's just that he looks like a serfer and not like a legendary king :) [/quote]

There's a version I haven't seen done yet: Arthur, King of the Waves. Hang ten at the Camelot surfing competition, dude!

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Mon April 4th, 2011, 10:54 am

So the second episode was not that good.

Arthur is still a village idiot with his mouth open. And apparently, he can be thrown on the ground by a girl.

So Morgan warns them about Loth's attack and still his people somehow get to the party UNNOTICED and everyone acts surpised.

SPOILER
Sad about James Purefoy. Well, maybe he read the script till the end and thought that it would be better to be killed off than to participate in this... em, production.
SPOILER ENDS

At least BBC's Merlin is fun. Camelot for now is just sad.
I'll keep on watching probably, but i think that both The Game of Thrones and The Borgias are going to turn out better.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Darkest Evening" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 18th, 2011, 9:02 am

[quote=""Sintra""]The pilot was pretty good, and i liked that there was some magic and that they included Kay in the story.
I love King Arthur legends so i couldn't miss this. My main complaint here is Jamie Campbell Bower as Arthur.
He looks like a child of Johnathan Rhys Meyers
and Kristen Stewart, and not in a good way. And his acting is pretty bad.
I love Bradley James in that role. I know you can't take BBC's Merlin seriously (i watch it as a guilty pleasure) but i always liked Arthur in it. He looks believable as a spoiled brat and as a great future king, and it's a shame that Merlin's screenwriters are not able to pull off a decent show with such cast and sets.

Camelot is better story-wise, but i wish i could just change Arthurs! :)
James Purefoy and Eva Green are fascinating though.[/quote]

I watched "New Moon" again last night and JCB has a small part in it; yep, he really does look like JRM, especially when he had long hair when he was in Gormenghast. He didn't do much though, so couldn't judge his acting :rolleyes: :)

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Mon April 18th, 2011, 2:52 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I watched "New Moon" again last night and JCB has a small part in it; yep, he really does look like JRM, especially when he had long hair when he was in Gormenghast. He didn't do much though, so couldn't judge his acting :rolleyes: :) [/quote]

I've never seen New Moon, but Bower is kind of scary. I can see how JRM can look hot, but his blond copy is just... meh.
I think i'm done with Camelot. I had high hopes for it, but i after the second episode i'm not so thrilled.
The Borgias are far better and i still have to watch Game of Thrones pilot!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 18th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Game of Thrones starts here tonight.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Tue April 19th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Saw the first two episodes and was disappointed. Same-old same-old with a few naked butts thrown in.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed June 8th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Camelot starts in the UK on Saturday, with a double episode.

Watched it last night and was rather unimpressed, it looks quite flat next to Game of Thrones, and is a bit like watching a re-run of The Tudors, with different costumes. I did quite like Eva Green though, but the rest of the casting was a bit off.
Last edited by Madeleine on Sun June 12th, 2011, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”