Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The S-word, male vs. female authors

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 5th, 2011, 4:47 pm

[quote=""Kveto from Prague""]Oy! What a topic. I see none of the other lads on this site have weighed in here. I'll not touch this subject with a ten-foot (thrusting, penetrating) pole. :D [/quote]

Kveto, you crack me up! :D

Unrelated: Ashton's button collecting went on for the rest of her days. The exact count is never mentioned.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed January 5th, 2011, 5:32 pm

I tried to read Jakes' books many years ago but was totaly repulsed by the character of Ashton. I think she is definitely an example of, as Margaret said above, the author writing out his own fantasy.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 5th, 2011, 8:55 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I tried to read Jakes' books many years ago but was totaly repulsed by the character of Ashton. I think she is definitely an example of, as Margaret said above, the author writing out his own fantasy.[/quote]

After Alan Savage, Jakes is pretty tame. There's a male author getting his fantasies out in the open. Eeeewwwww.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed January 5th, 2011, 9:42 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Kveto, you crack me up! :D
.[/quote]

thanks, Lovehistory.
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Wed January 5th, 2011, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed my mind

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed January 5th, 2011, 9:50 pm

I have resisted the self-serving temptation to offer a challenge on many of these threads until now. Read my HF, Rocamora, and see how well I did with sex/romance in context of the story. Male author, male MC, and I like to think, six interesting women, and a dramatic birthing scene.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Thu January 6th, 2011, 1:57 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The bad sex award has been announced today. Goes to a bloke. The hot snail has been joined by a companion...

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/ ... pe=article[/quote]

oh...my...god... :eek:

And here's me thinking the Bad Sex Awards ain't what they used to be. :p
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Fri August 19th, 2011, 1:52 am

When I'm writing a female character, I tend to focus on how she's feeling, whether she's into the moment or just going through the motions. Later, she might also be concerned about pregnancy, as in not wanting to conceive, or wanting a child. Writing a man is different, though. It helps that I have a male copy editor who's able to tell me up front what men are thinking before, during, and after sex.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon August 22nd, 2011, 6:06 pm

Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 4:41 am

Ash--"The scenes in George RR Martin's series worked. The ones in Pillars of the Earth didn't.."

I agree with Ash and I also find that unlike the TV show Martin does not spend copious paragraphs in minute detail -He gets it right. I did enjoy reading Pillars but I skimmed his sex scenes.

But I had to laugh at the below descriptions after visiting that site.

"...uncovered, her nipple poking out, upturned like the nose of the loveliest nocturnal animal, sniffing in the night(are they having sex or hunting rabbits? lol :p )
.....He hooked his fingers into her waistband, caught the elastic of her underwear and began pulling down(are these Bridget Jones bloomers? lol :p )

Misfit--""She was always the most fluid of women. He called it silky. She stood, half-lying, against the tree as he went so easily into her, penetrating the silkiest of women, entering the silkiest of girls."

Is the subject making love or sewing a skirt?lol :D ... All that 'silkiness'..Now that was eye rolling. :eek:

Another author that gets it wrong is Philippa Gregory and her worst book has to be The Wise Woman...The sex scenes were just too awful. I'd quote them but I threw the book away. I do enjoy her writing but when it comes to sex scenes she needs to learn less is best.

The writers I found who handle love scenes with finesse are Elizabeth Chadwick, Sharon Penman, George Martin & Susan Higginbotham...I think what these authors manage to do is to combine intimacy and at times humour in their love scenes which I think the reader enjoys, rather than the hardcore sexathons which read as unbelievable by the reader.

One of my favourite books of all time is 'Forever Amber' a very raunchy period in time and yet the author manages to convey so much without explicit detailing.

Anyway that is my two cents worth.... :)

Bec :) ..PS: Misfit had me in stitches with those awful romantic quotes in another thread. :D

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 5:56 am

When the sex scenes make me cringe, I stop reading. I suspect I'm not alone in that. So those OTT scenes that writers used to put in to attract readers are probably costing them more that they are gaining--especially in terms of repeat customers. Ick me out once, and I won't ever come back.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”