Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2011 edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed December 14th, 2011, 9:05 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Instant gratification: I see, I pay, I have....It's great when you are stuck somewhere and have run out and there are no decent bookshops around. That is where the Kindle scores over the iPad for me (my iPad isn't 3g and if it was, the 3g would not be free). I can even buy English language books with ease whilst abroad. Real books good, e-books quick, easy and an awful lot less heavy.[/quote]

I don't travel much anymore, but I appreciate the ease that comes with it. I am just thrilled with the library lending now available for kindle, and lots of good ones to choose from.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu December 15th, 2011, 11:15 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by EC

According to Rosemary Sutcliff, this style was known in the trade as "gadzookery" :) ( I think it was Josephine Tey who described it as writing in the "forsoothly" manner).
Historical novelists now would be laughed out of hand if they came up with this stuff, though sometimes i wonder if we've gone a bit far in the other direction with dialogue often full of rather jarringly modern vernacular.[/quote]

I agree. It's a case of the fine balance. 'Forsoothly' is stilll alive and out there. No names no pack drill, but I recently read a novel by an HF author with 'forsooths' punctuating the narrative. :eek:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 16th, 2011, 1:52 am

[quote=""EC2""]I agree. It's a case of the fine balance. 'Forsoothly' is stilll alive and out there. No names no pack drill, but I recently read a novel by an HF author with 'forsooths' punctuating the narrative. :eek: [/quote]

Oh yes indeed. There's one more Anne Boleyn novel coming out soon that's just packed to the brim with the stuff. My copy flew half way through when Henry uttered the word Zounds! Exclamation point was the author's, not mine. Even the Vine reviewers that liked the book are commenting on the over abundance of merry olde English.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri December 16th, 2011, 2:57 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh yes indeed. There's one more Anne Boleyn novel coming out soon that's just packed to the brim with the stuff. My copy flew half way through when Henry uttered the word Zounds! Exclamation point was the author's, not mine. Even the Vine reviewers that liked the book are commenting on the over abundance of merry olde English.[/quote]

She then "kindly" passed it on to me, and I'm still deciding on if I want to crack it open, but thankfully I have a ton of other books I want to read WAY more then it at the moment, HE!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri December 16th, 2011, 3:29 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]She then "kindly" passed it on to me, and I'm still deciding on if I want to crack it open, but thankfully I have a ton of other books I want to read WAY more then it at the moment, HE!

SM[/quote]

:D There is always the recycle bin.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 16th, 2011, 5:38 am

Posted by EC
'Forsoothly' is stilll alive and out there. No names no pack drill, but I recently read a novel by an HF author with 'forsooths' punctuating the narrative.
OMG- I can't beieve anyone could do this these days and expect to be taken seriously!

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri December 16th, 2011, 10:34 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I don't travel much anymore, but I appreciate the ease that comes with it. I am just thrilled with the library lending now available for kindle, and lots of good ones to choose from.[/quote]

I really appreciate the e-library books, too, although Kindle library books not available over here and I have to use another device but it has also got me hooked on audio-books as well of which there is a really good selection.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat December 17th, 2011, 2:50 am

[quote=""Misfit""] :D There is always the recycle bin.[/quote]

True dat! I forgot to mention that she also kindly (no quotes this time) gave me a ARC of "Catherine the Great" by Massie, I just don't have time to read it yet with all my other books going!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon December 19th, 2011, 3:30 am

I went to a used bookstore today that I hadn't been to in years. The last time I went there, I wasn't impressed, but my tastes have changed considerably, as evidenced by my haul of NF today:

The Anglo-Scots Wars, 1513-1550 by Gervase Phillips

Medieval European Pilgrimage by Diana Webb

The Battle of Poiters, 1356 by David Green

Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough by Ophelia Field

Elizabeth I by Wallace MacCaffrey

Charles V: The World Emperor by Harald Kleinschmidt

Also got some old HF over the weekend:

None But Elizabeth by Rhoda Edwards

Mary, the Infamous Queen by Maureen Peters
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon December 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I went to a used bookstore today that I hadn't been to in years. The last time I went there, I wasn't impressed, but my tastes have changed considerably, as evidenced by my haul of NF today:

The Anglo-Scots Wars, 1513-1550 by Gervase Phillips

Charles V: The World Emperor by Harald Kleinschmidt

[/quote]

The Gervase Phillips books is on my list to get next time I am in the library to get it (ie when I am not up to my limit for that particular library) to follow on from Mark Nicholls The Two Kingdoms which is part of a set of two with the second one written by David L Smith concerning the slightly later period of the Three Kingdoms. I have been looking at Charles V to pursue further but may not get round to him for a while.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “General Discussion”