Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2011 edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat October 15th, 2011, 4:50 pm

[quote=""annis""]Are you planning a novel around the Boudiccan Rebellion, Faith?[/quote]

It's the setting for the first part of my WIP (alternating with the Kingdom of Kush then moving on to Rome and Pompeii.) First draft is done and I'm into the rewrite and fact checking. Boudica has always been a favorite of mine. A docent at the Museum of London, said Boudica meant "victory" and we don't really know the queen's name. I'm trying to nail that down as well as the usual everyday details. Research...the most fun part of writing!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 15th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Yes, Boudica's name, like so much else about her (including the exact colour of her hair), is open to debate. Some also feel that it could just as well be a valid personal name, a Celtic equivalent of the more modern name Victoria. Certainly a fascinating subject :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun October 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm

For $5 total at the library sale yesterday (got there in the last 1/2 hour; wish I'd had more time to shop):

C. J. Sansom, Dark Fire (for hubby; I haven't tried his books yet).

E. R. Chamberlin, Marguerite of Navarre (NF).

W. O. Hassall, Medieval England as Viewed by Contemporaries.

Francis Hackett, Francis the First. (NF about Francis I of France).

C. Willet and Phillis Cunningham, Handbook of English Medieval Costume.

Michael Prawdin, Marie de Rohan, Duchesse de Chevreuse. (I had to get rid of the dust jacket on this one; it looked mildewed.)

Hugh Ross Williamson, The Conspirators and the Crown: The True Story of Elizabeth and Mary Tudor.

Burke Boyce, Man From Mt. Vernon. HF about George Washington. A 1961 novel with a picture of the author looking very natty in a suit and tie.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun October 16th, 2011, 8:09 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]
Michael Prawdin, Marie de Rohan, Duchesse de Chevreuse. (I had to get rid of the dust jacket on this one; it looked mildewed.)
[/quote]

Now that's interesting. I have just been dealing with her in relation to the goings on at the French court during the marriage negotiations for Chalres I and HM -- and, of course, the goings on between the DoB and Anne of Austria.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed October 19th, 2011, 11:14 am

The Traitor's Wife by Kathleen Kent
Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu October 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I had a meeting at the local library today and couldn't resist browsing around. Came home with the following:

The Falcon of Palermo by Maria R. Bordihn
The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett
Bond of Blood by Roberta Gellis

Would love your thoughts! Especially on the Maria Bordihn books!
Brenna

catlvr14
Scribbler

Post by catlvr14 » Thu October 27th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I promised myself "no more books", but I had credit on Amazon....I know I don't have to justify myself to all the other addicts out there, just makes me feel better! :D

Secrets of the Tudor Court by DL Bogden
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Importance of Being Kennedy by Laurie Graham
Irish Princess by Karen Harper
Peachtree Road by Ann River Siddons

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri October 28th, 2011, 3:06 am

[quote=""catlvr14""]I promised myself "no more books", but I had credit on Amazon....I know I don't have to justify myself to all the other addicts out there, just makes me feel better! :D

Secrets of the Tudor Court by DL Bogden
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
The Importance of Being Kennedy by Laurie Graham
Irish Princess by Karen Harper
Peachtree Road by Ann River Siddons[/quote]
I have started using Kindle for PC because I have no more room for another pile of books. My daughter says that piles of things in the house are called ADD piles. Hmmm! I think the piles are there out of sheer desperation because my bookshelves are full.....time to ask my hubby to put on his carpenter persona and build me some! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri October 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Dark Side by Belinda Bauer - modern crime
The House of the Wind by Titania Hardie - dual time, set in Italy.

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Fri October 28th, 2011, 3:36 pm

[quote=""Berengaria""]I have started using Kindle for PC because I have no more room for another pile of books. My daughter says that piles of things in the house are called ADD piles. Hmmm! I think the piles are there out of sheer desperation because my bookshelves are full.....time to ask my hubby to put on his carpenter persona and build me some! :) [/quote]

Hmm, does she mean ADD - Attention Deficit Disorder or maybe Add - as in need to add more too?? I vote for the latter myself!!

Return to “General Discussion”