Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2011 edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat August 13th, 2011, 2:17 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Madeleine, I think it was you that mentioned Tom Cruise is playing Jack Reacher. I mentioned it to my husband about 25 minutes ago and since then I've been hearing yelling and a myriad of cuss words. The hubby is not happy![/quote]

You are not the only one who is upset with that casting. Not me, cause I don't know anything about the character, but I'm not a Cruise fan.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Moor" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 13th, 2011, 8:29 pm

No I didn't know much about Reacher either, but he's 6'5" and built like a tank, nuff said!

Have just ordered:

The Pull of the Moon, and Why Don't You Come for Me? - both modern thrillers by Diane Janes
The Rest Falls Away - first of the Gardella Vampire series by Colleen Gleason
Black Swan Rising by Lee Carroll

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sun August 14th, 2011, 3:10 pm

About a quarter of the way through 'The Zookeeper's War' by Steven Conte, a fictional book about the keeper of Berlin Zoo and his Australian wife during WWII. I've found the beginning incredibly sad already, when bombs hit the Zoo and many of the animals died :(
Last edited by LoobyG on Sun August 14th, 2011, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Apologies - this should be in the August reading section! :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun August 14th, 2011, 4:35 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]No I didn't know much about Reacher either, but he's 6'5" and built like a tank, nuff said!

l[/quote]

WHAT???!!!! Nooooooo!!!!
Anyone less like Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise I couldn't imagine. Bleurrggghh!!

Have been buying non historical fiction for the Kindle and I can't remember the titles offhand, so not a lot that's relevant going on here reading wise at the mo.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon August 15th, 2011, 3:21 am

My birthday is on the 23rd, and I ordered 3 books as my presents from my mother:
Unnatural Murder: Poison At the Court Of James l by Anne Somerset

She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth by Helen Castor

The Reluctant Empress. The Reluctant Empress by Brigitte Hamann (about Empress Elisabeth of Austria, tragic woman)

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu August 18th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Two British royalty-related books arrived yesterday:

Royal Bastards by Roger Powell & Peter Beauclerk Dewar, which I'd been meaning to buy for some time.

Queens of England by Norah Lofts, a non-fiction, quite basic book of plotted biogs of each queen that she wrote in the 70s. Just an impluse buy.

By the way, I just googled "royal bastards" because I couldn't remember the authors and came across this site:
http://royalbastards.org/

It's a hereditary society for people who can prove "descent from an illegitimate child, grandchild or great-grandchild of a king of England, Scotland, Wales, Great Britain or the United Kingdom".
That all seems fair enough to me. But there's something about them proudly calling themselves "The Royal Bastards" feels a bit odd to me...

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat August 20th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Great haul at the car boot today - made it worthwhile getting sunburnt hehe :D I got: 'The King in Love - Edward VII's Mistresses' by Theo Aronson, 'Edward & Mrs Simpson' by ACH Smith, 'The Duchess of Windsor' by Diana Mosley, 'Holocaust' by Gerald Green, 'Nancy Astor' by Derek Marlowe, 'A Rage Against Heaven' by Fred M Stewart and 'Marianne - The Eagle and the Nightingale' by Juliette Benzoni.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat August 20th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Got today in a 3 for 2 offer:

Oscar Wilde and the Nest of Vipers by Gyles Brandreth
Prophesy by S J Parrish
Rises the Night by Colleen Gleason

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 20th, 2011, 8:50 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Great haul at the car boot today - made it worthwhile getting sunburnt hehe :D I got: 'The King in Love - Edward VII's Mistresses' by Theo Aronson, 'Edward & Mrs Simpson' by ACH Smith, 'The Duchess of Windsor' by Diana Mosley, 'Holocaust' by Gerald Green, 'Nancy Astor' by Derek Marlowe, 'A Rage Against Heaven' by Fred M Stewart and 'Marianne - The Eagle and the Nightingale' by Juliette Benzoni.[/quote]

Will be curious what you think of Rage against Heaven.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Sat August 20th, 2011, 10:25 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Will be curious what you think of Rage against Heaven.[/quote]

Just after typing the titles up on here I searched it on Google and got your blog Misfit - some of those sex scenes :eek: I'm seeing it in an entirely different light lol. Ahh I only paid 50p, it might be worth it for entertainment value when I get round to it.

Return to “General Discussion”