Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

January 2011: What Are You Reading?

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 20th, 2011, 11:17 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I finished last night "Unbelievable: Investigations into Ghosts, Poltergeists, Telepathy, and Other Unseen Phenomena, from the Duke Parapsychology Laboratory" by Stacy Horn (246pgs, 2010). Not quite what I was expecting, it mainly concentrated on the lab's studies into ESP and psychokinesis, the head of the lab wasn't all that interested in stuff he couldn't see in a lab or replicate, like ghosts.

SM[/quote]

Sounds interesting though SonjaMarie. My youngest had a weird experience the other night. He did a bit of work on the internet, then went to have a shower. Came back to his room, wrapped in his towel to look at Facebook again and couldn't find his mouse, which he could have sworn he'd left on the mousepad. Went back to the bathroom to look for it in case he'd taken it in there with him, and heard a loud popping sound from his bedroom - enough to make one of our dogs bark. He back-tracked to his room and there was his mouse on the mat. Had it popped out of dimension for a moment? I was telling Barbara Erskine about this and she said the appearance/disappearance stuff happens to them all the time. They've just had a kitchen utensil return after 2 years' absence. It re-appeared on the kitchen table while they were all out. Weird!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Thu January 20th, 2011, 11:52 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Haven't read a Plaidy for a while so I"m going to read Madonna of the Seven Hills (gotta start preparing for The Borgias on Showtime in a few months!).[/quote]

The Borgias! I hope one of our Canadian networks picks it up! Should be an engrossing series! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 21st, 2011, 3:01 am

[quote=""EC2""]Sounds interesting though SonjaMarie. My youngest had a weird experience the other night. He did a bit of work on the internet, then went to have a shower. Came back to his room, wrapped in his towel to look at Facebook again and couldn't find his mouse, which he could have sworn he'd left on the mousepad. Went back to the bathroom to look for it in case he'd taken it in there with him, and heard a loud popping sound from his bedroom - enough to make one of our dogs bark. He back-tracked to his room and there was his mouse on the mat. Had it popped out of dimension for a moment? I was telling Barbara Erskine about this and she said the appearance/disappearance stuff happens to them all the time. They've just had a kitchen utensil return after 2 years' absence. It re-appeared on the kitchen table while they were all out. Weird![/quote]

Wow, interesting. I would've liked the book a bit more if it had more ghost investigations.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 21st, 2011, 3:22 am

I've finished "Descent Into Dust: Emma Andrews Book, Vampire Hunter #1" by Jacqueline Lepore (359pgs, 2010). I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more of the series.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri January 21st, 2011, 2:16 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Sounds interesting though SonjaMarie. My youngest had a weird experience the other night. He did a bit of work on the internet, then went to have a shower. Came back to his room, wrapped in his towel to look at Facebook again and couldn't find his mouse, which he could have sworn he'd left on the mousepad. Went back to the bathroom to look for it in case he'd taken it in there with him, and heard a loud popping sound from his bedroom - enough to make one of our dogs bark. He back-tracked to his room and there was his mouse on the mat. Had it popped out of dimension for a moment? I was telling Barbara Erskine about this and she said the appearance/disappearance stuff happens to them all the time. They've just had a kitchen utensil return after 2 years' absence. It re-appeared on the kitchen table while they were all out. Weird![/quote]

Around 1992 I had bought some shelves and I was mounting them in my room when a piece fell to the floor. I heard it falling and rolling. It was a big thing the size of a finger. Well, I moved table, carpet, chairs, everything and the thing just wasnt there. I had to go to the tools box and replace it with something else.
In 2007 15 years and many many cleanings of that room later I moved to where I live now. The last day the room was almost bare. I went a moment to the kitchen and when I came back, there was something on the floor exactly in the middle where the sun from the window was illuminating. I thought how funny ah? I interpreted it as a "We wont miss you" So I said outloud "Yah I wont miss you either"... I had known they were there all my life just not very messy except for that time.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 21st, 2011, 6:45 pm

I finished last night:
"The British Museum: A-Z Companion to the Collection" by Marjorie Caygill (387pgs, 2004ed)*. A good book, makes me wish I had had more time to explore the 2 times I went there in 2001 and 2005, oh well!

and...

"Cleopatra: A Life" by Stacy Schiff (321pgs, 2010)*. A very good book and easy to read. I've never read anything specifically about Cleopatra and this was a good primer.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri January 21st, 2011, 7:29 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"Cleopatra: A Life" by Stacy Schiff (321pgs, 2010)*. A very good book and easy to read. I've never read anything specifically about Cleopatra and this was a good primer.[/quote]

Sonja, are their illustrations/photos/pictures in the Cleopatra book? I did see maps in the preview on Amazon. Asking because I want to figure out if it is a book I can read on my Kindle.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Sonja, are their illustrations/photos/pictures in the Cleopatra book? I did see maps in the preview on Amazon. Asking because I want to figure out if it is a book I can read on my Kindle.[/quote]

Yes, there are 2 sections of coloured images of 8 pages each.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri January 21st, 2011, 7:49 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Yes, there are 2 sections of coloured images of 8 pages each.

SM[/quote]

Thanks, Sonja. Not yet sure if I will read the book or read my Kindle.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 21st, 2011, 8:04 pm

[quote=""Susan""]Thanks, Sonja. Not yet sure if I will read the book or read my Kindle.[/quote]

Always glad to help!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Archives”