Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do you ask strangers about books they're reading?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Do you ask strangers about books they're reading?

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri September 12th, 2008, 12:19 pm

I never do this but am frequently tempted to. Commuting every day, I see people reading books that either I've read or I am thinking about reading. I really want to start a conversation with them about the book but I don't (British reserve probably playing a big part here).

Does anyone ever do this?

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 12th, 2008, 12:34 pm

yes, If I'm curious and something caught my eye and I try not to be rude, just "hey I don't mean to intrude but..." and most people I found once you start chatting they enjoy talking to you.

Calgal
Scribbler

Post by Calgal » Fri September 12th, 2008, 4:37 pm

In an airport a woman was really torn between finishing her book and talking about books with me. She told me that all the flying she was doing for her job had changed her into a reader.

Also, I met another woman who turned into a friend because we shared a taste in books and for reading. She used to own a specialty publishing house and does editing since her husband died. I still email her. Since that time, she has published a memoir. No surprise to me that books can be a basis for friendship.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri September 12th, 2008, 4:48 pm

I travel alone quite a bit for pleasure and I always find someone to talk with about books, along with other things.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri September 12th, 2008, 6:27 pm

I do if I feel the 'vibes' are right. I can usually tell by intuition whether a stranger will want to talk books or would rather be left alone and I act accordingly.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:40 pm

I never have before but if I saw someone with an interesting looking book I'd strike up a conversation. I don't think I'd interrupt someone who was actually reading but it the timing was right I'd go for it.

Once I was reading a bunch of biochemical papers on a flight and the lady in the seat next to me offered me her magazine if I wanted to "read something less boring", lol! That made me laugh!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:49 pm

I've never done it, but I think I'd be more likely to say something if they're reading something I've already read.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri September 12th, 2008, 7:56 pm

there are two or three ladies at work that always ask what I'm ready and we chit-chat about what were reading for a few minutes before work and after, it's nice.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:28 pm

I always take a look at what people are reading on the train around me, just to see. Every now and again I will have a conversation with someone about the book they are reading, but not as often as I am tempted too!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri September 12th, 2008, 8:30 pm

I always try to take a sneaky peak at what others are reading, but as to starting up a conversation with a stranger, I'd be too shy unless they said something first.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Discussion”