Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Solstice Eclipse 2010 and 1638

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue December 21st, 2010, 4:26 pm

My husband woke me up just before the full eclipse. So I got to see the beautiful red ball for several minutes, before I escaped, shivering, back to my warm bed. Magnificent!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue December 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]Tempting ... but the moon is a fairly short-term astrological influence, so I don't think I'd want to spread the net as wide as a couple of years.

Halley's Comet appeared in April 1066, as the first planning for the Norman Conquest was already getting underway. The Conquest itself took place over the summer and autumn months of that same year. That's a better time frame for linking astrological events with worldly events.

I notice the BBC says "The last time a selenelion occurred, the Tudors were in power in England." I wonder what date that was.[/quote]

However, one of the major events leading to the English civil war was what is know as The First Bishops' War. During the Xmas period you are referring to Charles I was busily trying to finagle his way out of the problem he had caused by the introduction of the New Common Prayer Book to Scotland. He was also involved in avoiding some ruckass with Richelieu in France.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed December 22nd, 2010, 7:13 am

However, one of the major events leading to the English civil war was what is know as The First Bishops' War. During the Xmas period you are referring to Charles I was busily trying to finagle his way out of the problem he had caused by the introduction of the New Common Prayer Book to Scotland. He was also involved in avoiding some ruckass with Richelieu in France.
Aha! That works better. The moon was in the very last degree of Gemini, which would make the influence of the next sign, Cancer, stronger, suggesting mothering, nurture and the past, which might relate to the Scots wanting to cling to their traditions. The sun was in the last degree of Sagittarius, so its approaching entry into Capricorn would be the stronger influence, and Capricorn relates to governmental authority. Also, Mars in Pisces was widely aspecting the sun (by sextile) and the moon (by trine). Pisces relates to religion, and Mars is a classic trigger for warfare and aggression.

I didn't get to see the eclipse either. :( We had rain and clouds. By midnight the clouds were breaking up, but one of them stayed stubbornly over the moon the whole time - or at least as long as I was willing to watch.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed December 22nd, 2010, 9:58 am

As usual, it was too cloudy to see anything except clouds! Just as well as I forgot about it anyway....
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed December 22nd, 2010, 2:31 pm

It was too cloudy here as well. Bummer. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on the time period of the last eclipse. It would be fun to write a book with the eclipse threading through two moments in history.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed December 22nd, 2010, 9:13 pm

Margaret -- there is a little spoof here that you might enjoy regarding Charles and the 1638 eclipse.

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm? ... e=s1i88714

I am not so sure that the Scots were clinging to their traditions, more that they were emphasising the Scottish Reformation was very different from the English Reformation, something which many of the English puritans (Parliamentary supporters) were more in sympathy with. But that is a very much longer story.
Last edited by SGM on Thu December 23rd, 2010, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu December 23rd, 2010, 12:05 am

LOL - astrological predictions tend to be exactly like this all too often. Actually, there are about three lunar eclipses in any given year, so if they all brought disaster, the world would be in big trouble!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Chat”