Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Maass: "What We're Looking For This Month"

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri December 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Posted by Love History
I was thinking more of a story that takes place in the real world, in a time past, in a fictional country with its own culture, but contains no elements of traditional fantasy and poses no questions about altering actual history. Doesn't fit neatly into any of the above categories.
I have this problem in trying to categorize the work of Guy Gavriel Kay, which pretty much fits your above description.

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Fri December 17th, 2010, 10:53 pm

I have that problem with Kings and Rebels. I just call it Epic Alternate Historical Fantasy. :)

Well, at home I call it the Tentacled Subplot Monster, but I don't think that would ever fly in a query. ;)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri December 17th, 2010, 11:08 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]
I was thinking more of a story that takes place in the real world, in a time past, in a fictional country with its own culture, but contains no elements of traditional fantasy and poses no questions about altering actual history. Doesn't fit neatly into any of the above categories.[/quote]

Ursula K. Le Guin had some early stories that fit this category...no magic, no SF, but stories set in a fictional eastern European country, a century or two ago. I read them years ago, but don't remember the title.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat December 18th, 2010, 12:05 am

Alisha,

I would definitely mention that, and maybe even query some of the places that have recently taken historical fantasies. Stephanie Dray is coming out with an historical fantasy novel about Cleopatra Selene (I also wrote about her as the subject for my third book). Berkley Trade is putting that out in January, so maybe that's a good publishing house to query.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat December 18th, 2010, 3:52 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]Alisha,

I would definitely mention that, and maybe even query some of the places that have recently taken historical fantasies. Stephanie Dray is coming out with an historical fantasy novel about Cleopatra Selene (I also wrote about her as the subject for my third book). Berkley Trade is putting that out in January, so maybe that's a good publishing house to query.[/quote]

Thanks, Michelle. You are so kind to take the time to give me advice. I will check out Stephanie Dray and Berkley Trade.

Thanks to everyone else for chipping in as well. This genre stuff can get confusing. After all, historical fiction sometimes has a great deal of the paranormal in it. And not only wise women and so forth. I'm thinking of Jeanne Kalogridis' novel The Burning Times and also Phillipa Gregory's The White Queen.

Return to “The Writing Business”