Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mummified head is skull of Henri IV, say historians

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu December 16th, 2010, 12:32 am

[quote=""Michy""]Is Eleanor of Aquitaine's skull still intact? Or has it been destroyed at some point? If not, then I wish they could do this reconstruction with her. Although it would entail exhuming her skeleton, so I'm sure that's out. And it still wouldn't answer the burning question of what color her hair really was. :)

I would be fun to see to see Henry II, too, and also Richard the Lionheart.[/quote]

My psychic friend Alison sees Eleanor as being tall with 'burnished hair' with a definite gold or blond tint and sea-coloured eyes. She did have an ancestor known as William Towhead - circa 962, so who knows.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu December 16th, 2010, 2:32 am

Oh wow! Sea-colored eyes... beautiful.
Another interesting recent example of forensic work reconstructing the likeness of a historical figure was Mount Vernon's development of three life-size figures of George Washington at different stages of his life, using his life (or death? not sure) mask, denture sets, clothes, etc. They are very realistic and anyone in the DC area should check it out.
I went to see that exhibit, Matt - it was great!!! They also had Martha as a young woman, although not in wax or life-sized...
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 16th, 2010, 6:14 am

Posted by Margaret
Gosh, doesn't Henri look anxious!
I guess not knowing where the next assassination attempt is coming from will do that to a person :)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Mummified head is skull of Henri IV, say historians

Post by Rowan » Thu December 16th, 2010, 4:13 pm

I had no idea men pierced their ears that long ago...
A gash above the lip, a beauty spot and a pierced ear were among key features that helped identify the well-preserved head as that of the "Gallant Green" king, stabbed to death by a Catholic fundamentalist in 1610.

Jean-Pierre Babelon, France's leading Henri IV scholar told The Daily Telegraph he and the other experts were "99 per cent sure" of their findings.
Full Story

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu December 16th, 2010, 4:44 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]
I went to see that exhibit, Matt - it was great!!! They also had Martha as a young woman, although not in wax or life-sized...[/quote]
The coolest thing, I thought, was the large face of George Washington carved into the wall, that looked at you no matter from which angle you viewed it. I took pictures of it from both sides to prove it! I would love to know the "scientific" explanation for how that works.......

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu December 16th, 2010, 5:04 pm

I found two threads going so I merged the original posts under chat to news.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu December 16th, 2010, 9:12 pm

[quote=""Michy""]The coolest thing, I thought, was the large face of George Washington carved into the wall, that looked at you no matter from which angle you viewed it. I took pictures of it from both sides to prove it! I would love to know the "scientific" explanation for how that works.......[/quote]

There are dolls that do that too so it must not be too complicated a technology.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri December 17th, 2010, 3:19 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]I had no idea men pierced their ears that long ago...

[/quote] The practice of ear-piercing (for men and women) goes way, way, way back. Although I think it has gone in and out of popularity in different eras.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sun January 30th, 2011, 9:42 am

This is just so cool :) .

It is great that through forensics we can identify historical figures and solve historical mysteries. I just hope that other monarchs and mysteries can be laid to rest in an equally satisfactory way in the future!

The most bizarre aspect of the story for me is not that the mob dug him up and beheaded him (this has happened right through history, there was even a decomposing Pope dug up and put back on his throne at one stage!) but that the head was passed around from collector to collector. Two things about that bother me; one, who on earth buys and collects human remains especially when they aren't identified? And two, why didn't someone give it a decent burial long before this?!

I really hope that the reburial is telecast internationally as this is something that I would really like to take part in. It would be like going to Henri IV's real funeral and taking part in history, which is something that under normal circumstances we could never have done.

I'm with you CW, I feel very emotional about this.
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: Now you see them by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 30th, 2011, 12:12 pm

William Shakespeare is often portrayed with an ear-ring, there's quite a famous picture which is often used.

I think they've given Henri a very feminine mouth, it doesn't sit well with the rest of his features!
Currently reading: Now you see them by Elly Griffiths

Return to “History in the News”