Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roman Clothes

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Roman Clothes

Post by Divia » Wed December 15th, 2010, 2:31 am

I've been watching Spartacus Blood and Sand. It's a naughty romp that I'm enjoying! :D :D

Anyway, If anyone has seen the show they know there is a lot of um nakedness throughout. My question is, since I know nothing about the Ancient World, were body parts hanging out so freely? I assume that no, they were not so free, but I'm curious.

Thanks
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed December 15th, 2010, 6:54 am

Hi Divia. You assume correctly. I've only seen the first two episodes of Spartacus, but my (reasonable) knowledge of Rome would lend me to think that the nakedness depicted in those was way over the top. Done to make more appealing TV viewing. (And Lucy Lawless, aka Xena, Warrior Princess, sure is appealing :) )
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed December 15th, 2010, 10:55 am

She has kept in shape, for sure.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Wed December 15th, 2010, 4:22 pm

I watched a movie, Centurion, the other day, and it struck me that here might be another example of a culture moving to a different climate and having trouble adapting. Once again, this could be a making-it-look-cool movie issue, but I kept yelling at the screen to have these people PUT ON SOME MORE FREAKING CLOTHES ALREADY! This is Scotland! It's cold up there! What's with the toga?

But I also know that when missionaries went to Hawaii, they insisted on wearing wool in the 'winter' and the English had a habit of dressing inappropriately almost everywhere it was hot. So why not the reverse? Thoughts, Roman experts?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 15th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I just finished watching season one myself and really liked it. Yes, it's over-the-top, indulges in sex, nudity and violence, but I think they also took great care to develop a really compelling story with themes that resonate. The characters were well done, had interesting, complex and believable motivations, for the most part. And from a strictly superficial standpoint, some of those costumes were lovely and quite aesthetically and artistically appealing (aside from the obvious sex appeal). Lucy Lawless gets a lot of attention, but I thought they really had a superb cast all around.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 15th, 2010, 5:10 pm

The Romans weren't shy about nakedness, but to appear nude in public was considered inappropriate except in certain places and contexts: gymnasiums, the public baths (originally open to both sexes) and even public latrines were as popular meeting places for all as the forum.

Gladiators on the other hand often appeared in the arena naked or semi-naked, probably for much the same reasons as the characters in Spartacus!
Last edited by annis on Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 15th, 2010, 6:27 pm

With regard to the shots of the crowd in the arena, my husband and I were joking about how some things haven't changed too much in 2000 years. When the news shows shots of sporting events the camera inevitably ignores the hundreds of appropriately clad and well behaved people to zero in on the most salacious and rabid examples that can be found.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:39 pm

TV crews at sporting events have an unerring knack for zeroing in on the prettiest and most scantily dressed girls in a crowd of thousands :)
Last edited by annis on Thu December 16th, 2010, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed December 15th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Unless it's NASCAR... then they look for the most digusting or fattest woman they can find with more hanging out than you would ever want to see sober or drunk. ;)

Return to “Questions and Research”