Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James Michener

chuck
Bibliophile

Moving on....

Post by chuck » Tue December 14th, 2010, 7:59 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I wouldn't worry about it :) . To be honest, although occasionally you can have a different experience with a book at a different stage of life, generally speaking I think one should just accept that not every book or type of book is going to appeal to you. There are so many millions of books out there, I don't believe in trying too hard to like something that just doesn't grab you. Say "it's not for me" and move on.
Personally, I adore Michener's books and that whole structure. But if it's not your cup of tea, then grab something that is. That's my motto![/quote]

I think your advice is spot on....I don't know how many times I felt the pangs of guilt; when quitting on a novel.....The exception....a few outright wall bangers.....

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue January 25th, 2011, 3:33 pm

[quote=""laktor""]Well, not sure, since it's been a long time since I attempted reading these novels. But I think it may have something to do with not being able to follow the characters and families for whatever reason. But, as I said, I may try again since it's been so long.[/quote]

One thing ive noticed about Michener. Sometimes its better to skip the opening chapter and come back to it later. i imagine it might help with Poland as the first chapter (from the early 80s) is not as riviting as the later chapters.

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Tue November 8th, 2011, 12:39 am

I'm about halfway through Poland, and enjoying it. I tried reading Rutherford's Sarum a while back, and couldn't make it past the prehistoric crap. I may try Russka since I love Russian history.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue November 8th, 2011, 8:55 pm

[quote=""The Czar""]I'm about halfway through Poland, and enjoying it. I tried reading Rutherford's Sarum a while back, and couldn't make it past the prehistoric crap. I may try Russka since I love Russian history.[/quote]

I read Poland quite some years ago and found it an easy and enjoyable read but couldn't get over the uncomfortable feeling about the less than glorious aspects he left out. I still haven't made my mind up about that.

I found Sarum tedious but then I really don't enjoy fiction that sprawls through time and found Russka similar although I did enjoy certain bits and skip read through the bits I found, again, tedious.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 22nd, 2012, 5:14 pm

I'm so glad there is a thread for Michener.

Over Christmas holiday I was wandering through Barnes & Noble with a friend while we waited for time to pass for the movie we were going to see. We walked down the aisle where Micheners books were shelved and I mentioned to my friend wanting to try one of his books. She then loaned me a copy of Tales of the South Pacific which I'd given her for her birthday.

It's a struggle for me to get through this small book, so much so that I doubt I could finish one of his sweeping epics in under a year. Twice now I've put it aside to read something else. I just can't figure out what it is that I'm struggling with. I'm quite familiar with the musical based on this book of short stories and it's been interesting to read them in a different context, but beyond that....... nothing.

I feel so... abnormal.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Thu February 23rd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Michener is a slow read always. Keep in mind that the protagonist isn't a person but a place in most of his works. Consequently, I find most of his characters are two dimensional with a few rare exceptions. The one book that's different is SPACE. In this one, he confines himself to about 40 years so the characters are far more developed than in other books. It's an interesting read; particularly in the beginning when he describes the hunt and rescue of the German scientists at the end of World War II and the effort to keep them out of the Soviets' hands.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Fri February 24th, 2012, 2:23 pm

So I'm not abnormal. Thank you so much!

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Fri February 24th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Nope, not a bit abnormal. My fellah, who reads everything, won't read Michener because he gets too confused. He really made an effort with HAWAII but never could get past the geologic introduction.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri February 24th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon February 27th, 2012, 3:53 pm

That's definitely a site to explore, Don. :)

Return to “By Author”